Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Rabbit hole of no return

6 Likes

Beautiful bass. Sure this has come up here before, but do you pay attention to the “wait before you open” Sweetwater box suggestion. I’ve gone to forums and see differing opinions. The bass I got from Sweetwater last month, I waited despite the warm Southern California temperature, out of fear of damaging the finish, but with no real understanding of that dynamic. Glad to see yours arrived in perfect condition. If I lived close by and you left a window or door open, I’d be glad to add it to my collection.

5 Likes

Gotta say, with all the dozens of guitars and basses I’ve received over the years, I’ve never heeded that sticker warning. Even with delicate, handmade custom acoustic guitars that are far more sensitive to heat and humidity changes than a bass ever will be. Then again, my local climate is pretty temperate compared to a lot of other places.

Bottom line, it doesn’t hurt anything to wait. But it does suck.

5 Likes

I wish I had your “guts” on that, but I see the pictures of the cracked finishes on some really nice basses and the fear kicks in. On the other hand, people say that bands travel to different cities and countries and are performing with instruments right away. For now, I’ll endure the pain of having to stare at the box. I’m still saving for “one” more future Sweetwater bass purchase, but hangin’ with you guys (and ladies) I know I might be in need of a future intervention.

4 Likes

[/quote]
The key will be when you start buying pedals.
[/quote]

I’m in deep trouble then. They aren’t bass pedals but I’ve already got a Boss DS-1 and a EHX Holy Grail…

…and the Pork and Pickle by Way Huge looks very tempting… :dotted_line_face:

P.S. I’m still new on the quote function, I’m sure I’ll get it soon enough

4 Likes

It’s really easy. You can just select the part of a post you want to quote and click the gray “Quote” button that appears magically. That will either create a brand new reply for you, or, if you already have a reply open and in the works, it will insert the selection and paste it wherever your cursor is. The first part looks like this:

3 Likes

[quote=“cheeze_pizza, post:8605, topic:608”]
[/quote]
The key will be when you start buying pedals.
[/quote]
[/quote]

You can either quote things the easy way (see post above), or you can code it like you did previously. Just make sure the first tag doesn’t have a forward slash (/) in it. That slash is reserved for the closing tag only.

1 Like

My understanding is it makes more difference in winter and cold climates.

6 Likes

For me it depends on the time of year. I usually wait a while if I get one in the winter and it’s really cold outside but I don’t worry about it if it’s reasonably decent out.

5 Likes

It can happen, for sure, but the temperature difference inside and outside the instrument’s packing box and/or case and your house’s ambient temperature would have to be pretty extreme.

You don’t have anything to lose by waiting. Except your patience. :smile:

3 Likes

I have heard the same thing @Wombat-metal is suggesting, going from cold to hot. I live in Florida and have always opened the package when I received. The worst thing that has ever happened to me was the bass was a little out of tune on day 2 since the guitar has gotten acclimated to the AC overnight.

4 Likes

Yeah, I never do a setup on day 1. String buzz often goes away overnight

2 Likes

I don’t have more than I should. I have exactly the correct number.

5 Likes

She’s here. Think I’ll call my new baby Ronnie

The wood grain looks great. She’s better looking than I expected.

Next decision - TIs or Labella’s? I find myself in possession of both. Thinking TIs maybe

18 Likes

Nice looking bass @Wombat-metal

3 Likes

Looks pretty sweet. What are the buttons for on the Nordstrand?

3 Likes

Not sure I like the one ply pickguards. Maybe switch to basic black? Not generally a fan of torty but might look good on her

4 Likes

I feel you on the white pickguard. Not sure about black, though. I know tort would look good. Just my $.02.

3 Likes

Some of them are used as a quick EQ button. Scooped mids etc

9 Likes

Full photo in my office at work

12 Likes