Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

@Wombat-metal, here’s a very rough, down-and-dirty mockup of what tort would look like on your new bass.

8 Likes

I gotta say… and this is just one dude’s opinion, take it as you will… but I would much rather have a black or white pickguard than a tort one.

6 Likes

2 Likes

That’s valid, @JustTim. Just exploring options for a bass I don’t own. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Forgot the finger rest. Here’s another mockup with it.

5 Likes

Here’s a black pickguard.

6 Likes

Go big. 'merica

4 Likes

@Wombat-metal, it looks like a black could look pretty good, if the tort doesn’t do it for you.

3 Likes

@simonpwood - the switch bank closest to the neck are the pickup selector buttons. There’s neck/ bridge in series, neck only, bridge only, mute and, if you press all four buttons down at once, it puts the pickups in series mode.

The second bank closer to the bridge are tone controls. There’s flat, traditional roll off, heavy roll off and a mid scoop. There are a surprising number of combinations to play with.

Here’s more info on the bass and the story behind it: https://nordstrandaudio.com/products/acinonyx-short-scale-bass

3 Likes

Tort’s okay in a cat, but noty my fav in a pickguard.

Had a tortoiseshell cat once. My sister found it, and examined it and felt kittens. She is allergic as anything to cats, so she set me up by getting my nieces to ask me sweetly if I would give the cat a home. Like who could say no to a niece?

So I took the cat. And I should add at this point my sister is a doctor, but she was wrong and the cat was in fact, fixed. So I called her Preggers to the end of her days. She was a sweet cat. I miss Preggers.

5 Likes

That’s cool, I get it. I’d never been a tort guy myself, really, but I loved it on the Crème Sandberg P. Its throwback classic-ness hit home with me.

Also, my Cutlass tobacco sunburst will soon arrive with a neo-classic tort pickguard that just…fits.

Every detail about basses and modding them come down to personal choice.

3 Likes

That’s why I’m on the fence. This bass is a throwback itself, and if a tort guard belongs anywhere in my collection, it belongs here. And I think the red and black will pull out the colors and wood grain

And the white one ply looks cheap and plasticky in person. It really looks bad

4 Likes

I’m with you. I’m not a fan of white.

By the way, I don’t know if your bass’s finger rest is sitting on top of your pickguard or if there is a cutout in the pickguard for it. But the ones I found for a Tele bass didn’t have a cutout or screw holes for a finger rest. If you decide to get one, you should trace your stock pickguard and send it to the vendor.

2 Likes

The finger rest is useless where it is now. If I use it, I’ll relocate it to above the strings somewhere. Screw authentic, it needs to work

I mean the bass has contours and single saddle bridge. It’s only so authentic to start with. Now if it had dual saddle bridges and was slab sided, might be another story

3 Likes

Lol, yep. I almost pulled the trigger on an Oly White Fender Hama Okamoto P bass. It was 1968 period accurate, complete with a finger guard and ashtray.

For several reasons, I decided not to buy it. But one of the things I really didn’t dig was its finger rest.

Different strokes, and all that, but, to me, superfluous historical touches like a finger rest just don’t ring my bell. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Oh this one will be high maintenance.

First, I take off the strings and bridge. It’s one of those bridges with ridges, no real saddle to set the seat the string in. I pull out my Gotoh bridge, and the screw holes are smaller than the screws. So I dig around and find a Fender HiMass bridge in the parts drawer.

What the heck did I take a HiMass off? No idea

Anyway, overkill but put the HiMass on. Put the strings on. Okay, lotsof buzz, let it stay in tension a bit, adjust the saddle heights cause the strings were real low, okay. Now it works fine

Except the A string. The A string has a weird wah sound to it, little buzzy, little wah’y like teh frequency is shifting. Can you get a bad string? Never heard anything like this. Anyway, will let it sit overnight, and see what it’s like tomorrow. The bass shipped with no tension on the strings.

Other than that it sounds pretty good. If it hums it doesn’t rise past my tinnitus - I do hear other hums though. Like on a Jazz. The neck interestingly does not look to have a separate finger board. Seems like the frets on the neck itself. The neck has heft, but is not too chonky. It’s thin enough, clearly modern.

Time to let it sit and ponder if I want to try another bridge. HiMass was not my intent, I still have Fender angle bridges I’ve swapped out.

5 Likes

Ride ‘em, @Wombat-metal! Just hang tough. You’ll bring it to ground.

4 Likes

Fixed it.

Took off the HiMass bridge, put the stock Squier on, still a problem

Changed the strings to GHS boomers, problem solved.

It seems to be the Thomastik Infeld strings.

I have a Fender 58 Bridge on the way and a set of Fender flatwounds. We’ll be ready for Lindy’s stuff.

5 Likes

This black render is oh so nice!

4 Likes

Very interesting. It’s a great looking bass.
Nice to see it was inspired an old 60’s design!

3 Likes