Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

They’re famous for taking lots of drugs and sitting in a field playing the same song for 4 hours.
In fact you’re Dutch @Mike_NL so it’s like a rave but with fewer synthesizers and acid instead of ecstasy. But same same :sunglasses:

6 Likes

So good, I was waffling between this bass and my Duff P/J. A part of me will always feel like it’s not a true Fender without a maple fingerboard…

2 Likes

The funny thing is this isn’t hyperbole :rofl:

Personal preference… I’d say raves are way better. My strongest association with The Dead are seeing their stickers on beemers in Marin. Which isn’t new, Don Henley was writing songs about it back in the '80s :slight_smile:

Looooots of DeadHead friends though. A few are tape collectors. My brother is super in to them too.

3 Likes

The Dead is famous for writing great songs and for being one of the most prolific touring bands for years, playing amazing live concerts around the world.

Those who actually know, know.

1 Like

They have definitely cultivated the most devoted fan base of any band, ever. Except maybe Insane Clown Posse, because the Juggalos are kind of like really trashy DeadHeads that are in to ClownCore.

5 Likes

The Dead’s music is the differentiator.

There was a bumper sticker on a few cars back in the day. You probably saw it, Howard, or maybe your brother even had one. It consisted of a simple declarative sentence:

There’s nothing like a Dead concert

The Dead headlined the first concert I ever saw. The esteemed John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers opened the show along with a couple of San Francisco bands: It’s a Beautiful Day and Quicksilver Messenger Service.

They were each fantastic. But when the Dead came on, everything changed. Phil Lesh played esoteric bass lines. Jerry played his signature weaving lead lines. Their two drummers were in crazy sync with each other and the bass. They played for hours, not a set or two.

I had never heard or heard of the Grateful Dead before that night. But I saw them every chance I could after that. It wasn’t about drugs or a cult or any of that bullshit. It was all about the music.

2 Likes

LOL that’s how I got most of my 17

5 Likes

Okay, I literally had to Google this. I couldn’t name a Grateful Dead song if my life depended on it. Guess they happened before my time… Or maybe they were never that big in Europe.

Heheh, I never liked any of these things :wink: Well, except synthesizers maybe.

4 Likes

Don’t feel too bad. The only Dead song I know of is “Truckin”.

2 Likes

Just one article about one tour. The Dead toured all over the world to capacity crowds.

https://www.sfgate.com/sfhistory/article/grateful-dead-europe-1972-tour-17045839.php

2 Likes

Truckin’ is one of the very, very few Dead songs ever released as a single, i.e., radio play.

The Dead was never a studio band. Their magic was in live performances, and the same songs were never played the exact same from show to show.

2 Likes

Okay, I just picked up the Warwick and the Peavey 210 this past week. Now I am looking for a bass head or combo to run the 210 with. I couldn’t get the image to rotate. My apologies.
Bass

11 Likes

hahaha, certainly… different… :joy:

3 Likes

Nice $$ @TXbass68

2 Likes

I saw a Dead concert once, afterwards we called them Tuning with Jerry. They also tuned for hours.

Fun Fact - I lived in Greenville SC for 20 years, and they had a Dead Head Memorabilia shop there, owned by the mother of a singer, Natalie Merchent of 10,000 Maniacs

3 Likes

Don’t know what the tuning thing was about at the concert you saw.

I saw them play many times, even outdoors at the Manor Downs racetrack here in Austin, and no tuning issues, just hours of playing.

It was always interesting to people watch at Dead concerts. The popular misconception was that Deadheads were just tripped-out hippies, of which there were many, for sure.

But a Dead audience was far more eclectic, running the gamut from close-cropped guys in suits and ties to military personnel in uniform to complete families with kids to folks with cowboy hats, and more. Even the cops handling security were bopping as they stood guard.

Nice! I dig that band.

Hahahahaha

I saw them at the Garden just before Jerry died.
It was on a whim.
I like a lot of their tunes.
I’ve seen a lot of concerts, a lot, and this wasn’t one I’d put up there.
I get the draw. I get the experience. I get it all.
Just not my thing. Was bored to tears.
Jam bands aren’t my, well, jam.
Probably wasn’t high enough.

4 Likes

Same. I understand why people like them, but I find them intensely boring.

5 Likes

This explains the tuning thing. They weren’t tuning, @Wombat-metal. They were helping their audience along on their rides.

2 Likes