Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Yeah but for me that’s true of any bass :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very nicely arranged pic of your “family” there, @joergkutter . . . :+1:

They are all beautiful . . . hard to decide which is tops.

Congrats on the new additions, too!

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Yess!! A beautiful bass family you’ve now got there :grinning: It’s like they’re all just hanging out on your couch, in the living room, haha!

Yeah, that 6 stringer was worth a try for you, and, the Mayones, just incredible, you’ll have to let us know all the differences with a bass at this level. Dude, you’re giving me some real GAS now, gonna have to leave this thread for now, as the possibilities to try out new basses are a bit limited these days, and I’m tempted to do an internet gamble if I keep looking!

4 Likes

Haha, yes, I hear you… Luckily, I had had a chance to test the Mayones twice before closing a deal (otherwise, I wouldn’t have done it). The 6-string, though, is indeed a bit of an “internet gamble”, but with that price tag and a bunch of very good reviews, I thought I could get away with it :grin:

3 Likes

Wow. Gorgeous collection!! Well done on all fronts.

2 Likes

My fretless HB agrees.

4 Likes

My fretless HB agrees. :grin:

2 Likes

I think most, if not all, of them are made by Samick – which, according to both luthiers I talked to recently, is a Good Thing™. Samick also made the Gregg Bennett Fairlane J-bass I got recently, and I’m pretty impressed by that one too.

My HB came with a botched (probably not-executed) setup, and a soldering error which caused it to drain the preamp battery even if the cable was unplugged, but other than that, I would have had no complaints if I had paid €300 for it.
And since it just so happened that the price was €149, I have even less complaints. The fingerboard may be fake ebony, but it’s very resilient, and it mwoaah’s nicely like a proper fretless should.

The Gregg Bennett holds its tune better than the HB fretless, but it’s not like the HB goes out of tune when you play it for hours on end. It’s just that, when you pick it up after a week not playing it, you have to tune it, whereas the Gregg Bennett is still bang-on after a week even with new strings.

@joergkutter, once you’ve tamed the 6-string, you’ll be a Muting God! :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve seen your playing and I have to disagree. I’m sure you can do it plenty justice.

5 Likes

Very kind of you, Eric! We’ll see how that goes :smile:

Haha, that is how you all shall refer to me… at that time (which is approximately equivalent to the time when hell freezes over)!!

3 Likes

My two.
Ibanez GSR 200 and Schecter Elite-5

I got the Schecter a few weeks ago in a deal I couldn’t pass up. I have loved the feel of every Schecter I have played, It’s Orange, came with a case and new set of strings, it’s orange,
I got all this for $400
And it’s orange, did I mention that?

I got it for the bass. I sold the head for $100 already, and have the cab up for sale. If I get lucky, I will get all $400 back after the cab is gone. Or more :thinking:
Will see, I am not desperate for the money, so I have not dropped the price for a fire sale yet.

But when It’s gone, I will be getting another amp set up, just not anything nearly that big, way too much for my needs.

12 Likes

That’s a nice looking combo there, @T_dub . . . :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks.
It’s a young couple, the family is sure to grow.
There are so many basses for sale, so cheap on Offer Up and Let Go.
I have my eye on a few right now. There is a Gretsch Electromatic short scale for $100 packaged with an Ibanez GSR 180 and a little amp, plus a gig bag for $100

Gonna try and get the Gretsch for $35-$40 and leave the rest. Or just buy it all and sell off the other stuff cheap to get some money back. The Ibanez is too much like mine, so don’t want it really.

Then someone has an OLP Stingray for $75. Looks really nice, I am just waiting for more pictures.

Some people don’t know what they have, there are lots of great deals in my area for sure.

And then there is …
And then there is…
And so on and so on.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that this may be a hard time to sell. I’ve been having trouble moving photog gear lately, and other forum members can’t get rid of some basses.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up @peterhuppertz . I am not in a rush to sell. It’s kind of a buy low, sell high kind of scenario. I am not going to stretch my budget, expecting a return, but if the deals are hot, because of the times, I will happily jump all over it.

2 Likes

My friend’s mom ( in her 80’s) gave me this when she found out I can play bass, thanks to Josh and co. Her deceased husband “buddy” played it once when Roy Orbison was doing a small tour in Delaware early in his career. He said his guitar player didnt make it, and asked if anyone could play in the audience. Buddy kept his guitars in his trunk. So he spent the evening jamming with Roy. Pretty cool! As a thank you to her, I learned “their song” and played it for her on Buddy’s bass. “He stopped lovin her today by George Jones”
Needless to say there were some tears on that one! Thanks Buddy.

17 Likes

That’s a keeper. <3

1 Like

that’s funny, I had a kinda similar guitar, a 60’s Yoojin. I sold it very recently, just a few weeks before the quarantine.

1 Like

Great story, @mattdoc! What kind of bass is that? I can’t see the headstock… Looks like it still got its original strings on!?!

1 Like

Some korean cheapie numbers on it are559-1462 and i believe it is a Teisco. My limited understanding is that a company made this and put several names on it for various sellers. I dont know if strings are original but they do look ancient. It has pretty good sound, not great, and its super easy to play. My 12 yo loves its size. Any idea how to use that device in the head?When i got it the d and g strings were behind it. See the photo

1 Like