Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I got my new pickguard from these folks. It’s great, but they don’t really have anything in orange.

https://www.wdmusic.com/wd-custom-pickguards.html

2 Likes

I just ran across this in my SAVED folder in OFFER UP. Lol. Glad I waited. Appears to be the same model. Mine may be in better shape???

@rory. Here is the Schecter Devil Elite. Awesome.
It actually sold for $250. I was wrong thinking it was listed at $240. It started at $350, then dropped to $250 and sold after being listed for 9 months.
There is another ne listed at $300, last year. It doesn’t say sold, but they don’t always follow thru after the sale, so who knows if it’s available.

Headstock is awesome!!!

The fretboard inlays really make this bass!

Body is not the best, but suits the name and overall theme.

And just for $#!t§ and giggle§ , this fun one from ESP LTD. they are another of my favorite brands as well.
I think I like Schecter and ESP and Carvin equally at top of my list. Then Ibanez, Fender, Gibson.

Beyond that, I can mostly only go by looks, not a lot of experience with many others

Here we go, cool fun looking bass from ESP LTD.
Marked down to $180, and prob well worth it.
If it goes down near the $100 mark, I am screwed.

I like the headstock, wonder if it would be comfortable sitting down? Might be perfect, might be awful. Guess I will buy it and find out.
:crazy_face::joy::flushed::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sunglasses::crazy_face::joy::flushed::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sunglasses::crazy_face::joy::grin::grin::grin::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::flushed::grinning::crazy_face::joy:

Ty @Theron, I will look and ask around, see if they recommend anybody.

Your right that is a very cool headstock shape.
Even at the price it sold for it seems like good value.
I like the idea of having a 4 & 5 string version of the same bass.
One day I might get a 5 string but I need to learn the 4 first.

1 Like

Although there are some folks here that decided 5 string for starters, and did the B2B course on a 5 string, I feel the same as you.
I am playing my 4 strings pretty exclusively, and have been switching between my Ibanez SR300 with DR Black Beauty coated strings, and my ESP LTD B4-E with the factory GHS (I think, have to check) Nicole round wound strings in Drop D tuning ( to play RATM). I now have the Sub Ray that is going to make the rotation for sure.

I bring the 5 string out to re do the B2B course with my daughter. It’s fun, and feels great, but I am not there yet.
I know I could just play it and get there quicker, but I have some goals I set for myself, based on sacals, arpeggios, triads, etc… and mastering the fretboard. I know I could do that on a 5, but I don’t want to overwhelm myself. I know me, and it will be better for me to master the 4, and then incorporate the B string into it, then try and start from scratch with the 5 string.
I have thought this out a lot. And that’s how I am gonna proceed.

All that said, since I love the Schecter Elite 5 so much, if I got a 4, I could throw it in the rotation and proceed as planned with a Schecter in my hands now.

The new be listed today for $300 is a viable option, but I am not supposed to be getting anymore Basses for another 3 weeks (lol) so there are a few things keeping me from giving into the GAS Ghoul.
1, $300. Good price, they are worth as much as $600, but it’s not a jaw dropping price.
2, it just listed, seller not likely to take low ball offers.
3, and this one is Key. It was made between years of 2000 and about 2013 or so, and turned into the Schecter Stilleto Studio 4, 5&6 at that time, with new colors. While in production it was released in two colors, Black Cherry Walnut (or something) and Honey something something meaning ORANGE, like my 5string. This one os cherry. If it were the orange one, nothing would hold me back.

#1 is very important to me on. There are plenty of basses in great condition, selling for 1/2 of their value or a little less, even o ante ones, that I am not jumping on. It takes a Sub Ray for $90 to get me moving.

A Spector 4 string. Orange, worth as high as ( selling as high as) $499 as listed over a year ago for $250, then dropped to $200. Beautiful shape, with a hard case. I asked, they still have it, and it’s not that far away.
I have not talked to them any further then, do you still have it.
If I jumped on them all, I would have over 30 Basses right now, and 90% of them would be quality excellent shape, undervalued Basses.
And I can afford it.
Guess I am just talking myself into drawing a line.

Think I may need to open a used Bass music store and resell Basses. Lol

I want that ESP up there too…

Oh yeah @rory, this is why I got a 5 string Schecter. Everything in the picture $400.

Sold the amp head for $100 already.
Trying to sell the Cabinet for $275. That would make the Bass, strings, strap (don’t use, but comfortable, and the hard case end up costing $25. Heck, I will sell the Cab for $200 and have all that for $100.
Damn, I will keep the cab, use it with my $20 GK Backline head, and have all that with a different, better head for $320 and be happy. Lol, I need a storefront so I can get that Devil Elite, that ESP, and this too.

It’s stupid what’s out there, I bet I could take it home for $140.
With that beautiful case I could flip for $50 easy, but rather keep it. Lol

So, funny thing happened when I started tearing into the set up.
The guy posted this fo $90, saying it needed a $10 part from GC to make the Input jack work, cuz it cuts out sometimes. I said, no prob, I am sure I can fix it. So when cleaning it up, I saw the battery cover on back for the active EQ. And said to my self “Self, I wonder if the battery is dead, and the cutting out was low voltage”?
Sure enuf, not only was the battery dead, one of the ears on it was broke off and stuck in the connection.
The battery and compartment were both clean, no corrosion or dirt so to speak of. I popped the battery out of my Ibanez, plugged it in, hooked up the amp, and BAM. STINGRAY GEOWL.

It was awesome, but now every time I go to GC I am gonna think to myself “self, idiots are allowed to work here who don’t know how to check for battery life on active EQ’s, and guessing what part to sell to fix a phantom problem”

Haha, I think the guy discounted the bass cuz he thought it was gonna cost $30 or so to get a part and have it changed. Oh well, I can’t complain.

This happened to me when I bought my 5-string I used to have too. The store had installed the battery without clipping it in, and it was shorting on one of the pots :slight_smile:

1 Like

That looks schweet! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am learning to play bass on this! It’s a Ibanez Mezzo SRMD200. As soon as I wanted to play bass I saw this in Guitar Center and loved it. On my birthday it went on sale!

10 Likes

Very nice! . . . :slight_smile:

Wishing you good luck with it, @ChuckGuy8

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

Awesome. I LOVE IT.
Perfect color. I have that color on two different Ibanezs. An SR300 an a GSRM20 Mikro short scale. I suspect. Will have one of that very same bass some. Day, to complete the color scheme, d the Scales. One standard 34”, a Medium like your 32”. ( IIRC) and the Mikro 28.5”

Sweet bass, I bet you love it.

Happy belated birthday!!!
:tada::tada::birthday::birthday::guitar::guitar::birthday::birthday::tada::tada::birthday::birthday::guitar::guitar::birthday::birthday::tada::tada:

2 Likes

Wow!
What a deal!
If you were in Australia I’d buy it off you.
How’s that amp sound?
It look a treat.
I think you’re right about talking yourself into buying that stuff.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
Those black strings you have, how do they sound.
I was thinking of going black but was told they sound a bit flat.
I’m still to develop an ear for all this stuff So maybe I wouldn’t pick the difference.
They’d look might hot on my black Schecter I reckon.

2 Likes

The black strings are great, they are not as brute in tone, and growl a little more, but, like you, I don’t have the ear to hear the difference unless I hear them side by side. But I soon will, with all the different Basses I am getting, I get to put on different strings and I am starting to learn.

@T_dub

They do look pretty vibrant all lined up next to each other, have to say.

My mate also suggested those tree hanging stands where I could put 3 at a time. So I can clearly go mad with some audacious looking colour basses that you’re going to kindly sort me out with :smiley:

1 Like

@Jamietashi

Haha, thanks for your “support”, I think :smiley:

I just know I’m not going to stop here, so I figure I might as well just succumb and not stress about it :smiley:

2 Likes

@T_dub

Talking of cleaning basses, what do you use? I need to clean up the fretboard on my bronco bass, and obviously don’t want to use solvents etc in case it knackers it

2 Likes

I read up on this. Let me send you a link later. It only included mechanical grime removal - a straight razor knife and the finest steel wool you can find, no solvents. And then use fretboard oil afterwards.

3 Likes

@peterhuppertz

Excellent, thanks for that!

Hm, I should be able to knock up the knife and the fine wool. It’s fretboard oil I haven’t got.

2 Likes

Seeing as to how sparingly you use that, you’ll probably buy one bottle in your life.

Unless your handle is @T_dub of course.

3 Likes