Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

:smiley:

1 Like

Absolutely. You see that Orange Spector I posted earlier? $200 with the gorgeous hard case. As Brad Pitt said in Snatch
“I’ll fit ye for it”

2 Likes

First things first. We always want to start slow.

First attack, remove what you can with a clean dry soft cloth. Things like q tips for knocks and crannies
Second will be that clean soft cloth dampened in light soapy water, followed by a soft damp cloth in straight water, followed by a clean dry soft rag to wipe dry
This will tell you if you need any heavier artilery.
Oils to condition the fretboard as suggested and the product to clean the frets are great, just always remember to start with the basics to see if anything more is needed.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting I need to buy in bulk?
:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I’ve been collecting basses (and guitars) for a long time, and I think my current count is 20 total, with 10 of them being basses. I have a new custom Hofner “Cavern” on the way. But my prized possessions are my 1958 and 1962 P-basses. I admittedly went a little crazy in giving myself a few 50th birthday presents last year! The '58, which is the white bass with the gold anodized pick guard on the left, is quite honestly the best instrument I have ever picked up. It’s only 8 pounds, has a soft V neck, and almost literally “plays” itself! If I could only keep just one bass, this would be the “One.” Not bad for a 62 year old bass!

The '62 P-bass is my next favorite. When I bought it, it was obvious that it had spent a lot of time in a very humid environment, as many of the metal parts were fairly rusted. However, it definitely was a “players” bass, and while it isn’t much to look at with the rust, flaked paint, and various dings and scratches, it sounds like a beast!

The next photo shows my Ric 4003, Fender '58 and '63 P-bass Reissues, and a Deluxe Jazz. Not pictured is my '69 J-bass. Unfortunately I’m not as in love with that one as some of the others.

The final photo shows my Hofner “Mersey” bass, and an Epiphone knock-off. I will probably be getting rid of Epi just as soon as the pandemic quarantine ends.

Although I’ve had serious “G.A.S.” issues over the years, finding that '58 P-bass seems to have cured me.

15 Likes

@T_dub

Yeah, the spectre looks nice. But I’m looking for something that catches my eye. I’ll have a google about and see what I can come up with

2 Likes

@T_dub

Excellent info, thanks. I’ll start on the basics cleaning it up with the cloths as you say and then take another look at it! nice one

2 Likes

The concept is not alien to you, or so it seems.

:laughing:

2 Likes

ROTFLMAO!!!

1 Like

@WhiskeyBlender

Oh my, what gorgeous instruments!

That 58 p bass with the gold anodized pickup is…well, I don’t know what to say… I can’t think of any appropriate superlatives! Stunning.

4 Likes

Thanks @quadfather! I think at this point I could (almost) sell off all the other basses and just keep this one. I’ve bought and sold a lot of basses over the years, and this is the first one that I’ve ever found that could truly be called “THE ONE.” :grinning:

3 Likes

I can certainly understand that, @WhiskeyBlender . . . :wink:

The rest of your collection is very impressive as well :+1:

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

the 58 seems to be in pretty good shape for its age !

5 Likes

@terb, I think that the pots were replaced some time in the early '70’s, and the bass was repainted around that time as well. The frets are still in fairly good shape. It had round wounds on it when I bought it, so I replaced those with GHS Precision flats in order to extend the life of the frets and to get a more “authentic” time period sound. She’s ready to go for another 60 years! (well, I’m sure she’d need a little work during that time, but you know what I mean). :wink:

4 Likes

I have the same one. I was lucky enough to get mine for $80

3 Likes

Fretboard cleaning is covered here.

2 Likes

I’ve come across this video that is more specific to electric bass guitars and takes into account the type of wood as well:https://youtu.be/95RVyfwAHxg.

4 Likes

Really well done video. Thank you for posting.

3 Likes

@WhiskeyBlender That is quite a collection. Very nice.

5 Likes

Loving the '58 and '62 Ps :blush:

4 Likes