Show Us Your Basses (Part 2)

Man get you some matching socks to go with those awesome basses! :rofl:

5 Likes

Lol, I’ve been playing the sh*t out of it most of yesterday afternoon, got off work early last night, played even more! :grin:

Didn’t even have to touch the setup, straight out of the box, tuned and it was good to go!

3 Likes

Not much to say about it - not a high quality item, for sure, but it’s MINE, dammit

19 Likes

And that’s the only thing that counts.

5 Likes

After playing a 4 string normal electric bass for a long period of time (one month) I decided I need something more challenging…

…just joking, I don’t really needed the challenge of a fretless bass but: I couldn’t resist. We’re both build in '79 and Billie Jean sounds great on it and I love it! But: I can’t play anything on the E string. I don’t figured out where to rest my thumb :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

You can either practice your floating thumb technique or install a thumb rest. Here’s a link to a thread about it :wink:

There might be some more, just picked the first I found.

3 Likes

There’s another alternative: I don’t usually rest my thumb on a pup; I just lightly touch the top of the body with my thumb.

This has a few benefits for me as I’m not depending on a pup on any of my basses to be optimally positioned for resting, and I can play closer or farther from the bridge or neck as I tonally choose.

This isn’t Josh’s recommended technique, but it works for me.

6 Likes

Another alternative is to learn to pluck the E with your thumb. This is a technique Tina Weymouth has used. If you watch some old videos of Psycho Killer, she plucks the E string with her thumb and the other strings with her index and middle finger. As if she were playing a guitar

5 Likes

I will go with the floating thumb technique in long term. For now, touching the top of the body as @MikeC mentioned works well.

4 Likes

I will check them out. Thanks

3 Likes

I’m at work or I would find one sorry

3 Likes

After finishing the beginner to badass course this week I’ve decided to buy my first bass to reward myself. After using my girlfriends Harley Benton to complete the course, I felt like I needed something more appropriate to continue my bass journey.

It was quite a challenge to find something appropriate since I wasn’t really sure what I was looking for in a bass. Unfortunately there weren’t any musicstores nearby for me to test different kinds of basses. So I’ve spend hours (and hours) searching the internet looking for a new bass. Since I’m only four months into playing bass, I wanted something to explore different kind of music genres (rock, funk, jazz).

Long story short, I decided to take the risk of ordering this beauty online.

The online praise for this bass (Marcus Miller P7 Alder 4 AW 2nd Gen) combined with its versatility tone wise made my descision final. To be completely honest, going from a bass with two knobs to a bass with seven knobs felt really overwhelming playing it for the first 10 minutes. But after that (with a little help from dear old friend youtube to set up the tone), I couldn’t stop playing this bass. I’m very happy with my choice and I’m very excited to explore what this bass has to offer and to develop my own skills futher!!!
https://youtu.be/XzvyUYO770Y?si=G0_KkNPRI1dGc46r (Playing it like this man would be the dream!!)

20 Likes

Nice! Love the Sire basses!

5 Likes

Big congrats on your great new bass! That’s a wise choice.

The Sire V7 is a killer Jazz. Marcus Miller not only designed it but he’s also played one on stage and in recording sessions for years. And his actions speak louder than a mere mortal’s words.

My new V8 is a souped-up version of the V7 (Swamp Ash body, high-mass bridge, lightweight tuners, etc.), and I love it. Its crazy amount of playability, tone options and overall single coil Jazz-goodness make me smile - and play - every time I pick it up. I just have to replace the D’A strings for TI Jazz Rounds and it’ll be perfect.

Have tons of fun with your new Sire!

5 Likes

Although you are technically correct, @bouty bought a P7, not a V7 :wink:

For an MIJ Aerodyne, that’s a steal! This is my dream/grail bass as well, but they never go for less than €1000 over here… And that’s the black ones, the red ones are even more expensive. Are you sure it’s a 32" scale though? I didn’t even know these came in shorter scales than 34" :thinking:

4 Likes

Oops! Mea, mea culpa! Sorry about the f***kup.

5 Likes

Sorry about the mixup regarding your new Sire. I saw your post about your new bass and I mistook the Jazz pup in your photo to be on a V7.

Multi-tasking is generally a good way to screw up several things at once.

7 Likes

It seems they made a non export model in medium scale. Dates don’t quite seem to tally though.

Fender Aerodyne Medium Scale Jazz Bass (Japan non export model)

This version of the Aerodyne Jazz is similar to the other Japan non-export models, except that it has two (DiMarzio-designed, but manufactured in Japan) J-style pickups instead of a stock P/J pickup configuration. It also has a medium 32"-scale length (812,8 mm) which plays just like a regular Jazz Bass with a capo at the first fret. The medium scale permits the use of slightly heavier gauge strings while retaining the same “feel” (string tension) as a standard long 34"-scale bass. Production of this model began in 2003 (prior to the introduction of the USA model) and the earliest examples had the model number AJB-90M/DJ. In 2007, the medium scale bass acquired the model number AJB-M/DJ and was offered in Black, Olympic White and Gun Metal Blue. Discontinued in early 2008.

3 Likes

Right, I missed the fact that it has JJ instead of PJ pickups… Still, a lovely instrument! I’m a bit jealous :wink:

4 Likes

Great choice! I can’t lie, that darker tort pick guard kinda makes me wanna swap the pearl one on the white V8 for a black one now :joy:

They’re all cracking basses nonetheless :sweat_smile:

5 Likes