Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

thanks!

1 Like

Aha, there it is :grin:

You left the other thread with a kind of cliff hanger, so everybody was wondering… but here is the resolution!

Congrats, man!! Glad you gave the 5’er a try and glad you found out what suits you better!

6 Likes

Yeah I was super happy with the overall bass, so I’m glad I could get its one-string-fewer sister :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Congrats @howard!!! So BEAD for this one?? I’m loving the PJ setup on my 174 for BEAD. Brings me back home to playing guitar playing above the 5th fret in EADG territory, but only in a lower octave that I love to hear… And these fat-ass strings really put some character onto the tone!

5 Likes

Yep definitely BEAD, I’ll probably convert it around the end of the month. I miss my B string already :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So it’s been a big (and expensive) week for me, got 2 new basses. The first just got here, my new short scale stingray. So damn excited!

12 Likes

Hello @JerryP ,

The Hofner I have has a unique tone for a short scale bass. It is very light and easy to play. It sounds more “mellow” than other basses (not as low/heavy sounding, but still a nice tone). I have put flatwounds and it sound great especially for Beatles songs. If you are after rock or heavier sounds, you may want to get a different short scale bass. But for my purposes it suits me really well! There are other more expensive Hofner basses which may have a lower sound, but our music shop did this one so it was a really good short scale option! Highly recommended!

4 Likes

Thank you @siddhi. I’m a big Beatles fan so that’s the sound I’m looking for. As soon as time and budget allow, I’m looking at the Hofner Ignition Series.
https://www.hofner.com/violin-bass-ignition-sunburst.html
Thanks again for your input.
Jerry

2 Likes

Mine are what they call parts basses. on the left started as a squier vintage modified body, i added the tortoise pickguard and the tugbar, then found the telecaster vintage modified neck on ebay. (I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s so i like the whole retro thing). on the right is a squier neck I got along with a bunch of other bass parts I picked up about a year ago, it says precision but is really a jazz bass neck. so both are P/J basses, with different necks. since i had the parts I wanted to compare the difference between P and J necks.

10 Likes

I like the P with a Telecaster-style headstock

Not Parts Bass
Boutique Bass more like, they are awesome real Custom Shop.
Finish is AAA
JT

Told you it’s been a big week. Got my short scale stingray a few days ago. But not wanting to give up on long scale entirely, somehow I clicked on this:

1 Like

Soooooo pretty

9 Likes

Oh my. You went all out on that Bongo 4. Very nice. :+1:

4 Likes

Did you get it because you’re a fan of Jack?
Does it play nice?
I think they look superb.
I think Jack Casady is superb too. A fantastic musician. I saw him once, with Hot Tuna, when they were one of the support acts to The Rolling Stones at Knebworth UK in '76

Here’s Jack with his Alembic ‘Mission Control’ instrument. Astoundingly musical bass lines in my book.

2 Likes

It’s really different from the others!! Nice!!!

Besides the looking, anything else is different?

2 Likes

Really nice to play, great tone, great flexibility. If you go on the ernie ball forums, you’ll find that bongo fans are pretty fanatical, we’re called bongoloids :rofl:

2 Likes

Loved it!!! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I got it because I was looking for a hollow/semi-hollow. I thought I wanted dual pups, but when I went to my local shops (Sam Ash and Guitar Center) there wasn’t a whole lot to choose from. At Sam Ash, one of the guys from the shop finally gave me some attention and I told him how frustrating it was to see tons of Gibson and Gretsch guitars, but not basses. He smiled and walked me over to a little back room and told me they just got it in the day before and were getting ready to put it out, but he had been playing on it all morning. I didn’t think I was going to like it, since I wanted 2 pups, but as soon as I played it I was able to get the sound I wanted. I just love the thing now, some decent flats on it, a little overdrive and I am one happy camper.

I wanted to get something like that since I had seen the bass player from Calibro 35 using something similar in their video for Agogica. I just need to make an adjustment to it for that neck dive!

2 Likes

That’s just great :+1:

1 Like