Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I like your bass - even got a vintage Nirvana sticker on it, peeling away!

Keep going with LWTUA, it’s a great tune to learn, you’ll get it after awhile, you’re hitting the right notes / chords there, you should upload again as you make progress. It’s a fun one to play. It’s one of the few I play with a pick though.

4 Likes

Nice combo @locket,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice siblings you have there @FletchMan,
If you ever want to adopt your Peavey out let me know, I will take him, and I don’t care if he has any baggage.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Haha, that’s the first time someone’s noticed it. There’s also a fallout sticker on there. I originally wanted to peel them off but then I decided to keep them because they gave my bass some personality.
After some practice, I’ve gotten better at LWTUA. Now that I’ve got my pick, it also sounds closer to the original instead of the finger version. I wish I could upload my progress but I have to go to school now :frowning:
Maybe in the evening if I have time.

5 Likes

Nice gear you got there.
:+1:

3 Likes

Family photo time!

As you can see I’m kind of a short scale fan. :grin:
From left to right they are:
Kala Ubass
Epiphone Viola
Epiphone EB-0 modded with a Dimarzio Model One and a Dimarzio Model J (I call it my EB-J)
Fender Mustang PJ modded with a Dimarzio Split P and a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz
Harley Benton JB40FL (fretless)
All but the Ubass have flats on them. When it arrives sometime next year there will also be a Yamaha TRBX605 in the family. :baby:

11 Likes

Hm, I guess I haven’t shared my fretless acquisition from October yet… an Ibanez GWB205 - guitarguitar in the UK had a special I couldn’t say no to:

While it is not as hard as I thought to play fretless, it IS hard to play it well (i.e. in tune) :grin: But a lot of fun as well!

14 Likes

Ooooh! The Gary Willis signature??
That’s real real cool.
I’ve always wanted to play one of those.
How’s it play? What’s it like? Does it have that real narrow, thin neck profile like other Ibanez?

8 Likes

Yep, it’s one of the signature models. There are three currently (although this seems to change all the time) - the GWB35, the GWB205, and the GWB1005 (getting more expensive in this order). I first looked for a 35, but they were sold out almost everywhere, and even though the dealers claimed they would get them again, that didn’t quite happen so far. So, when they had the 205 on offer for pretty much the price of a 35, I pulled the trigger. The differences in these models are the materials and the hardware, and potentially where they are manufactured (with the 1005 probably still made in Japan).

But, yes, the neck is just incredible - this is my first Ibanez, but I am very impressed. The entire bass is so, uhm, slender for a 5-string, and light, and feels great. It came with the more substantial round wounds (135, 105, 85, 65, 45) and, I guess, those will eventually take a toll on the fingerboard.

It plays fantastic (with my limited experience on fretless basses) and I like the sound it produces. I am though nowhere near as fast as Willis and so the ramp hasn’t really shown its worth yet. Initially, it takes some getting used to (not much) and now I hardly notice it anymore. What I noticed, though, is that playing fretless “strains” my fretting hand fingertips in a different way - just because it is so much fun to slide and wiggle all the time :grin:

Overall, very pleased with this one - it’s a keeper :smile:

8 Likes

Yes! Everything gets the max-vibrato-super-slide treatment!

Killer, and great to hear across the board.
If you do some tracking with it, post up a link! Looking forward to hearing it.

6 Likes

That is a beautiful looking bass @joergkutter!
I watched a couple of videos where Gary was teaching and man , he lost me. His technique was outstanding but way beyond my ability

5 Likes

Very Nice

6 Likes

Alright @joergkutter. We’re going to need a new family picture now.

I’ve read about bass ramps. They seem like a good idea but I’ve seen where some people just hate them. What is the downside of playing with a bass ramp?

@joeike I would really like to hear your EB-J. Do you have any recordings posted with it since you had all that work done?

7 Likes

This is the first I have heard of them. I totally don’t get it. It sounds like people that use floating hand plucking technique like them?

5 Likes

Will try to put something together soon…

Haha, yes, he is amazing. Now, contrary to wide-spread belief, playing on his signature bass doesn’t make you play like the man :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

About that ramp, @eric.kiser and @howard: Gary Willis’ motivation is that it would prevent players from digging in too much and thus allow a more uniform attack. It is also supposed to support playing faster easier, as strokes are supposed to be shorter and thus less fatiguing. So, yeah, the downside is that you can’t dig in, or slap and pop with a ramp. And, yes, it probably works best with a floating thumb approach, without being a strict requirement. By the way, the thing is easily removable…

6 Likes

@eric.kiser The only recordings I have right now are on our church’s Facebook page (Reconnect: A Christian Community). I’ll see if I can figure out how to put something together.

4 Likes

…may I be worthy one day soon.

5 Likes

Ooh nice. Spector Euro LX?

4 Likes

Nope, just the latest performer 4, bone stock. I am kind of a customization nut and just wanted a really good neck and comfortable body at a decent price that I could turn into a project eventually. I may upgrade some of the hardware and maybe even the pickups at some point, but I not unless I get good enough to actually tell the difference!

3 Likes

It is. It’s a Crush 50, which I am quite happy with.

3 Likes