Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Awesome!

2 Likes

I’ve only been playing bass a month, and started out with the cheapest, no-name instrument I could find ($89 on Amazon) just in case I didn’t like playing. Well, I love it! The cheap bass is going on Craigslist.
I just got this red Yamaha BB235 and immediately replaced the white pick guard that came on it with a black one, on which I placed a vinyl graphic of my rose (my middle name is Rose)
I chose the BB235 (5 string) over the BB234 (4 string) because of one of the local bands here which features a young female bassist who plays 5 string. She’s a petite thing, with dainty little hands, yet she kicks ass on that 5 string bass. I figure if she can do it, I can do it!
As far as Josh’s lessons, I can just play it like a 4 string.

15 Likes

Very cool, @PamPurrs . . . . :+1:

You rock! . . . and I just know you’re gonna do great . . . :wink:

Congrats and all best, Joe

2 Likes

Awesome! The BB is a great sounding bass and that pick guard looks really cool.

Plus, red basses play faster!

3 Likes

Nice bass! And I like your reasoning :slight_smile:

However, I still think it is “easier” to learn bass on a 4-string instrument. Especially if you are a “visual” learner - the extra string confuses the heck out of me, especially when there is lots of string crossing and jumping two strings up or down… But, maybe that’s just me!?

Good luck with the course!

3 Likes

As do red motorcycles!

(Can you guess red and black are my favorite colors?)

Pam

8 Likes

I love the Pearl pickguard!

1 Like

Love that rose decal. Nice touch!

3 Likes

That is beautiful. I came close to buying that exact bass, but at the last minute bought the BB235 instead.

4 Likes

Team Yamaha!

4 Likes

How are you liking the Mikro so far? I keep hearing really good things.

2 Likes

Yaaaaasssss!
I get kidded all the time by my friends about my obsession with my love,of red/black color scheme! I had a Black Honda 1100 CBR-XX back in the day (I’ll let you know how that turned out if you want to know on another day!)
I also love the rose decal; our daughters middle name is Rose as well! I give you major props for diving in with a 5 string bass! I’d be way too intimidated!

-Kev

3 Likes

@howard: I love the body size, weight, scale length and neck feel. I hate the positioning of the pickups. For my playing style, they always seem to be in the way, particularly the p-bass neck pickup which I’m constantly catching the corner of my thumb on. Also, not that I’m much a slap and pop player yet, but there isn’t enough room for popping if you are slapping at the end of the fretboard and popping with your ring finger without hitting a pickup.

That will be remedied in a few weeks though when I remove the pickups, fill the pickup cavities and install some MGB Box Bucker flat pickups, one adjacent to the end of the neck and one adjacent to the bridge, giving me about 3" between pickups which should be plenty of room.

To make the electronics more interesting I’m going to install a master volume with push/pull series/parallel, a blend pot and a 12 position varitone (with an inductor) for the following settings: 1 is bypass 2-4 are bass cut, 5 is a mid boost, 6 is a .015 cap, 7 is a .022 cap, 8 is mid scoop, 9 is a .047 cap and 10-12 are treble and mid cut settings.

And then of course there are the aesthetic upgrades… black hardware, an American flag vinyl wrap and some custom made knobs.

I’m putting $400 of parts and labor into into a $200 bass… I should probably seek psychiatric help. lol

5 Likes

That actually sounds amazing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Man, the racing stripe really makes it. That is one good looking bass. I’m actually kinda blown away by how much I am really liking the whole look of that instrument.

4 Likes

7 Likes

10 Likes

Nice one @Krussell29! Which model is that, Stingray, SUB, Ray4? Hard to keep track of all their product variations… :thinking:

1 Like

Not shown is my Yamaha Pacifica 6 string. The Epiphone T-bird Pro IV was in it’s case until I bust the E string on the Peavey BXP Millennium this week. Then I remembered how nice it feels (despite the horrendous neck dive) and it earned a place on the homemade rack. It was about to go to the music shop to be traded in.

The Peavey is ok, but as a beginner I was finding it hard to get comfortable with it.

8 Likes

Nice basses, @PeteP . . . :slight_smile:

I’m seriously considering a T-Bird myself, but I am concerned about the neck dive that so many people have mentioned on the Interweb. What do you like most about it?

Thanks and all best, Joe

3 Likes