Show us your DIY modifications!

Thank you all for your inputs on the little accident. I can almost imagine your faces when you have seen the picture…

As @T_dub said I’m not worried about it since I am not thinking about selling it any time soon.

The J-PUps are mounted like this temporarily. In first possibility I will 3D print an adapter in the shape of soapbar that the J-PUps can go in and I’ll mount the whole thing as it was originally mounted.

And when I need to refill this hole I will also come back to this thread.

To my fortune I have found these wooden sticks which have the perfect round shape and color. They’re the ones used with perfume bottles…

They’re made of soft wood with color of my maple here and their diameter is 3mm exactly same as the hole…

I already hammered one into the hole from inside and being so soft i was even able to rescrew the pick up…

So no comments on the mod itself?

4 Likes

I think it is hilarious that we are all perfectly fine with the uncovered pups but are horrified by the tiny, easy to fix hole :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Gives the bass that horrible Rickenbacker look :sweat_smile:
Pickups already collect enough dust and skin sheddings without open cavities :laughing:

1 Like

Note to self: * Don’t share your work in progress mods until they are completely finished since people won’t be able to “listen to them” over how bad they look *

3 Likes

Well, you told us you’d get some 3D printed hoods for those pickups :wink:

1 Like

I will, as soon as I am satisfied with how they sound…

3 Likes

I was actually taking your defense on this one… Thanks for sharing the work in progress :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for that mate!

3 Likes

Good thinking with the stick there.

As for my own excuse, and the complexity I get myself into, I go by the motto “There ain’t no kill like overkill”. Just wait till I start my own bass build (still waiting for parts).

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see that and get inspired!

3 Likes

I did start (slowly). I bought a cheap hi-mass bridge, and I had to rethread all the screws and re-tap the holes. It’s in the project bass thread.

4 Likes

So far sounding good @Fahri, but not sure how the originals sounded with same strings.
Will be interesting to see what the tone knob does once you connect into the circuit.

I don’t have any active J basses, I do have an active PJ, and picking up a passive PJ tomorrow. Lots of discussion lately on active/passive (my fault) and what I’ve learned (as you are starting to as well) is that there is more to it than just that. The pickup you choose, the pre amp or lack thereof, etc. In replacing everything on my Squire J for fun, I have found that different passive pots make a big difference, different bridge makes a difference too, more than I would have guessed. Better? I feel like it is, but not sure as I cannot A/B before and after very well. With all the preamps, eqs, post processing options, I think you can get anything to sound like anything in a variety of ways. The key is what feels and sounds right for you, and if you are happy.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s all very interesting to truly understand what happens to your signal between your pickups and your audio output/ DAI…

For instance I have been using my Zoom B1 Four before the amp just to benefit from no effect features like tuner, looper, rhythm box and everything else should have been pass through but little did I know that my little daughter has been playing around with the knobs on one of the empty patches ( recently she has bumped the tuner calibration as well)

Yesterday I found that she put the highs all the way up to +50!

So I have been sitting all last week thinking “why the hell this JB so damn bright?”

So far only instance that I lacked the active bass has been this weekend away from home which I couldn’t take my home use amp and went with my P bass directly connected to DAI… It was sounding all over the place…

I think The problem was the signal level… When you have a passive bass you should at least hava a DI box right?

Anyways I have to shoot those test vids all over again.!

What PJ are you getting @John_E?

1 Like

The Frank Bello ESP LTD that I am so jealous of.
Black with red outline and red pick ups.

2 Likes

I can understand why you are jealous @T_dub, that thing looks killer!

Already watched a couple of interviews before coming back to write this and I totally dig how he is pulling those strings as well!

All vertical but like a hook almost playing as it was a double bass!

2 Likes

There should be no problem going directly from the bass to the DAI using an instrument cable… sounds strange :thinking:

2 Likes

It may depend on the DAI. If it doesn’t have Hi-Z, it might not amplify the passive bass. I think thats the Hi-Z. Likewise, if it is Hi-Z, and you don’t have PAD for -10 or -15db, you may clip.

These are the input specs of my MOTU M2

I needed to do a class on Zoom Meeting App and couldn’t get my bass sound level as high as I am used to at home. If I increased the gain it was clipping but the sound was low anyhow…

This kind of stuff happens when I cannot use a DAW to regulate things before directing the signal to Zoom Meeting App… (My Mobile PC is not power-full enough)

But with my active bass this was never an issue…In fact for ages I did not need an amplifier with the Cort A4, I was using it directly into the Focusrite Scarlett Solo (not liking the headphone output there so much so I upgraded to Motu M2)

2 Likes

You can’t use an amp when doing a class on Zoom?

When I was taking lessons with Josh, I was on Zoom thru my Ipad, and I plugged my bass into my amp, and turned up the volume just loud enough so he could hear it.

He could hear it just fine, he knew if I was playing a wrong note, out of time, or without clipping my fingernails. I never needed to plug into my computer or Ipad to do a zoom lesson. I just use the amp in the background.

2 Likes

When you have little kids home you improvise… I have watched @JoshFossgreen’s video on how to set up for a lesson on Zoom but sadly I needed a silent solution…

My usual setup is:

Bass---->Amp Head---->DOUT of Amp----> Mixer
XLR Dynamic Microphone------------------> Mixer
Laptop Headphone Out---------------------> Mixer

Mixer Stereo Out to Motu M2

Monitoring all on Motu M2 with my headphones…

This also works great with the Jamulus when Jamming online…

My instructor does not have a PC he uses his smart phone and his bass connected to an amp. We both are setting Zoom to use original sound so it does not suppress the bass sound next to voice…

This works great with the mixer since I can set the level of everything to my liking…

So this weekend everything was the same but I did not have my amp. In the end I used Zoom B1Four to level my signal properly with one of the AMP simulators…

2 Likes