Show us your headstocks

Sweet! You really like those things. How different are they to play?

1 Like

I have very little experience playing em, but you only fret a bit “harder” (flatter?) on them, but the fretting is all same…almost like having an octaver already built in.

Most famously the song Jeremy by Pearl Jam is on a 12 string bass.

I would still like to hear Phud chime in, as my experience was noodling at a store, so not sure what it’s like to regularly use one.

3 Likes

Both basses are neck heavy and not very comfy to play standing for very long. But I never used them for more than a few tunes.

Tone wise these are sweet or nasty depending on amp, effects, or style of right hand.

To me the fretting is about the same as normal. I have heavy calluses which helps.

Both are strung with the octave strings up so the sound changes according to fingering style (standard, slap, finger picking or tapping). :upside_down_face:

Alas…they are trapped upstairs in my studio :man_in_manual_wheelchair: with everything else except for a small amp, six string bass and a rick. :poop:

2 Likes

6 Likes

Axe #2:

Straightforward, modified strat-style, which makes sense as it’s a basic strat-style guitar :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey BassFace, just had to post to say I agree with you totally about the Headstock logos on Ibanez SD’s . I totally love the look of Ibanez guitars - beautiful designs and finish, beautiful woods and then I get to the headstock and I’m like ‘ugh, what’s with that logo’. It looks like something you’d find on the side of a van for a cleaning company, not exactly very rock and roll. :rofl: I’m going to have to get an Ibby one day because they are such great basses but I’ll probably have to put some tape over the logo :smile:

2 Likes

Ibanez Jet King 200 :

Fender Precision Bass :

Paul Beuscher lawsuit Grabber :

Jim Harley PB (also a lawsuit headstock) :

Yamaha SBV 500 :

6 Likes

i love the bongo headstock, looks very weapon-y.

if you hate bongos, you say it looks like peppa pig

7 Likes

:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

speaking about headstocks, I love the one of the 70’s Gretsh TK-300 :

TK300

4 Likes

Here is my LTD B-204

7 Likes

6 Likes

Jazz and Precision

10 Likes

Welcome @booker_t. Nice username!!!

2 Likes

You can change the color of the silks. Just change strings. :slight_smile:

I quite like the green though.

3 Likes

Bringing out the big guns I see. :slight_smile:

I think those two together costs more than my car…

3 Likes

The Fodera costs more than my wife and my car combined (old commuters) Lol!

5 Likes

Been trying to learn bass for the last 20+years with no luck (direction/dedication). FINALLY, I have found a great teacher here in California, and hoping with this interactive course (and the wonderful stuff I have already read from users in the forums here, after one day) that I can finally get beyond beginner and to “band ready.” About the guitars: 1) Being “older” and retired, I choose to like the finer things and, 2) thank God for interest free financing. The best to you all. See you at the top (while holding down the bottom end).

4 Likes

lol, no need to apologise for owning two fine basses Booker although like many I’m guessing I did have a sharp intake of breath. I’m of exactly the same mindset and all my lfe I have had the philosophy of aspiring to own the finest things I could afford (Mercedes cars, Leica cameras etc) - it’s what motivates me and makes me happy. I played bass as a twenty year old. I’m now 62 and only just learning to play properly with Josh’s course. I’ve nearly finished it and as a reward bought myself a Spector Euro LT? Does my ability warrant it? No, but it gives me pleasure as I’m sure your two fine guitars do also.

6 Likes

No worries at all. I don’t begrudge anyone for high end gear, or choosing to purchase it. Good on you, I would love to have a Fodera! Anything I’ve said regarding high end instruments was more about how someone else n a budget can achieve all the sounds and tones they want to. A Honda Civic and a Maserati get you to the same place just as effectively. There is some style and comfort that comes along with the Maserati though!

1 Like