Signal chains and sound shaping (again?)

Here you go :slight_smile:

Lots of examples and advice and discussion in there :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks @howard,
Will check it out when I get home tonight
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Me neither, @TNKA36 . . . :slight_smile: . . . my own signal chain is:

Bass ------> In-line Tuner ------> Amplifier ------> Electrical Outlet

Cheers and good luck in your search,

Joe

3 Likes

I sure hope your electrical outlet is not in your signal chain! But if it is, maybe it’s a good idea to preemptively warn the local fire brigade?
:laughing:

5 Likes

a nice drone sound for sure :grin:

5 Likes

Yes, but for a fleetingly brief moment.

But then again, there’s nothing like the smell of freshly fried electronics.

5 Likes

Hi @Jazzbass19
Hi Joe, I plug into my amp and play, what am I missing out on.???
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Ah, I thought I had heard some “My generation” coming out of my socket the other day :grin:

Ouch, @Jazzbass19 - just teasing you :wink:

6 Likes

@TNKA36

Included the electrical outlet because that’s what the amp is plugged into :slight_smile: lol

Still working on “My Generation” and “Another Tricky Day”, though @joergkutter

Cheers, Joe :wink:

4 Likes

@Jazzbass19 K.I.S.S. Yup I like simple. It’s running the Zoom but when I take Out JJ P-BASS set to James Jamerson specs, even the bridge ashtray with foam. It has a certain sound. Not that I can do it justice yet :slightly_smiling_face: the tone is something else. I suppose a DI should be there though? So the chain for JJ is bass tuner amp (bare assed amp). For the other bass, PJ, P and the HH it’s bass, tuner, Zoom B1 4, compressor, amp. The active bass I’ll play around with finding out all the variables b4 trying it in a chain. Except the tuner. Joe if you get a chance try a compressor, mine was just a £20/$25 one but it can sure hide some sloppy fingering :rofl: I’m not using it on lessons though. Jamie
:guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

4 Likes

I think you should get a compressor only when you know why you need one :grin: otherwise it can be pretty disapointing because it’s an effect that doesn’t really change the tone, and even is often barely noticeable. it can be pretty strange at first.

4 Likes

@terb I’ve so much to learn, your advice is always good. Trying not to jump ahead of myself with new gear. :slight_smile:
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

3 Likes

I’m wondering if this “Signal Chain” question applies to the effects chain in the Zoom effects processors such as the B1 Four and B3n. If it does, I’d be very interested to hear from the gurus as to how they line up their effects in those devices in stomp mode.

2 Likes

yes the effects order apply as well with digital simulations, that’s the same thing than with analog pedals

4 Likes

Thank you @terb. Now I am interested in this thread :eyes: :ear: :guitar: :musical_note:

4 Likes

the effects order is very personnal, my advice here would be that you do a lot of tests to see what works for you, considering the effects you want to use and the tone you want to get !

4 Likes

Yes, it is like @terb says, but my initial idea was to treat all pedals as one “unit” and not go into the sequence within the pedals. I think we had some discussion on that in one of the “pedal” threads.

For here, it was more of getting input on what configurations are possible and make sense, and where the sound shaping ideally should take place if you have several options (pedals, modeling amps, Garageband etc).

So, yeah, for someone without a modeling amp and not using the effects of GarageBand, this thread is perhaps less interesting :smile:

5 Likes

We do discuss pedal order in the other pedalboard thread a bit.

As Laurent says, it’s all about the sound you’re looking for.

If you want a safe, standard default, I’d recommend some subset of this order:

bass -> tuner -> compressor -> octaver/splitter -> distortion/drive -> modulation (chorus, phaser, etc) -> reverb -> amp/cab sim (or real amp)

Preamp/EQs can go in lots of places in there, the traditional being at the bass, the amp/cab sim, and with the drive. All three have different effects on the tone.

LOTS of changes to that will sound great, depending on what you want. For example, reverb after the amp/cab sim can also make a lot of sense.

7 Likes

Reviving this for a specific question (which I am sure has merits to both possible answers)…

Octaver & Compressor - which one goes first?
What do you get out of putting O in front of C?
What do you get out of putting C in front of O?

Discuss…

1 Like

Multiband or single band compressor? I’d want the compressor first to tame the thing before generating the second octave, unless you have a multiband and want to compress each octave differently (which I usually do, though not at octave boundaries).

1 Like