Signal Routing

Does anybody else have an interest in overly complex and possibly unnecessary signal routing. Because I love this stuff.

Specifically, I would like to split my signal into three parts.

1. Unaffected Clean Bass
  2. Affected Dirty Bass
  3. Octave Up Guitar Sounds

…and then recombine them before sending the combined signal to a looper pedal, and then to the amp.

I know there’s a few different ways to make this happen.
Is anybody else doing anything like this?
If so, how are you doing it?
Is this something the HX Stomp can do?

Also, is there any need for phase switches in a setup like this?

3 Likes

I think the Stomp can do at least one split.

I know the MOD Dwarf can do more than one and with a frequency-dependent split, which probably makes more sense than just dividing the signal, treating the two signals, and recombining them. Using a frequency-dependent split, you can preserve the low end and let your dirt-producing pedals work on the higher frequencies.

I guess you can get similar results by putting a low-cut/hi-cut (respectively) on each of the split signals in a standard splitter.

Good one… I have no idea though…

1 Like

You might already know the EHX Tri Parallel Mixer ? Tri Parallel Mixer | Effects Loop Mixer / Switcher - Electro-Harmonix

It can split your original signal in 3 (send), and then recombine them (return).

it depends on what you have on each signal. some effect pedals will invert the phase so, yeah, phase switches could be useful to be sure that your 3 signals are in phase at the end.

1 Like

A simple mixer would do the trick

Better mixers will give more control and quality.

An alternative idea is to use a loop switcher like

I got a RJM from some rich guy who didn’t had any use for it:

Amazing piece of gear and the signal options are endless.

This one awakens my inner nerd

1 Like

I have no idea what you are talking about, but wouldn’t it be a good idea, to just “simulate” a configuration with software (BIAS FX, TH-U, Ampltitube etc.) and then replicate that in hardware?

Just a thought…

2 Likes

Well how about the ABC switcher? Like this
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LE3AT1--lehle-3at1-sgos-instrument-switcher

I have the Dual and it’s well made

There are a lot of hook up possibilities.

1 Like

seeing as how this just seems at this point to be a fun experiment and you have no idea how it will turn out, if it were me i would be looking hard at the $29 behringer. let us know what happens.

1 Like

I do it with the Boss GT-1000CORE.
It can split 3 ways and it has two effect loops for adding additional pedals. The effect loops can be added anywhere in the chain, so they can be used in the splits in parallel or serial.

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking. Personally, I’d try to create this in Helix Native.

2 Likes

One of the hardware solutions I was looking at was this from Saturnworks.

This one for splitting the signal…

Saturnworks 4-way Active Buffered Splitter with Switches, Buffer Pedal for Guitar or Bass - Handcrafted in California | Reverb

This one for brining the signal back together…

Saturnworks 3 Input Channel 3:1 Active Pedalboard Mixer Pedal for Guitar + Bass + Keyboard + More - Handcrafted in California | Reverb

Together, these would cost $239. For me, not a cheap solution. Nor as versatile as some of the other solutions brought up.

@terb The EHX Tri Parallel Mixer fits the bill and comes in at a better price but some of the bad reports I’ve read makes me hesitant. Jesse, here on the forum, uses one and has said it works well.

That Harley Benton StompControl looks interesting. I need to do more research on it. The manual is a bit thin. I’m waiting on an answer from Thomann about whether it can be programmed for parallel routing.

I need to get lucky like @Paul and find a Mastermind PBC/6X for incredibly cheap.

Software solutions are a definite option. Specifically, in the sense of being able to record each of the three tracks individually. That gets into whether I, finally, get around to forcing myself to learn Reaper. That would be the most cost effective solution. I don’t look forward to that, as my previous experience with Reaper was like pulling teeth.

2 Likes

oh sorry, I was not aware about bad reports

not a bad thing :v::grin:

2 Likes

Not a bad thing at all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use Presonus Studio One, which is similar to Reaper. That really is not complicated for basic stuff.

What is complicated - at least fo me - is the overabundance of effects, what they do exactly, what the settings mean, in which order they need to be used and worst: how to use them in parallel!

Something like this confuses the hell out of me:

1 Like

effects are never mandatory

2 Likes

Maybe effects is the wrong word. Pedals, amps, all that.

I mostly play clean.

But then I am fascinated by all the toys TH-U, Amplitube and BIAS FX provide. Mostly I just browse through all the presets and enjoy the rock’n roll coming out of my speakers, without understanding what it does.
For you it might sound strange, but for for somebody like me those “thingies” are mysterious miracles.

And I need to understand those gimmicks for the final mix of my cover, right?

No, it’s not strange. Maybe it’s just not something you should bother with, for now :slight_smile: Just put one amp sim, choose the one that sounds best to your ears, and that’s enough. You can grow an interest in effects when you’ll need one :slight_smile:

Not at all. An amp sim is enough to release a pretty decent cover. I use absolutly no effect for a lot of my covers (except compressors but that’s more a production thing than a musician thing ; not sure it can be considered as an effect really, as it changes the dynamics more than the sound ; and it’s even not mandatory to release a decent cover)

2 Likes

Yeah - I feel that I have about 1000 compressors. @howard convinced me that I need that for post production (and I do!), and now I am looking for a) the right one to use and b) the right settings.

A compressor just compresses, right? Why all those choices? And should it not have only one setting: compression ratio?

1 Like

Some compressors have a lot of settings, other have very few. A good’ol Teletronix LA-2A is not very hard to setup !

There are a lot of videos on Youtube that will explain everything you need to know about compressors :slight_smile:

Well yeah, if you need one thing, it’s a compressor. But you can keep the things simple, really.

2 Likes

Ah, I even have that one in my BIAS FX:

1 Like

…and it’s one of the two most famous compressors of all time :slight_smile:

No. A compressor reduces the dynamic range of the sound. The aural effect of this is to make the body of the sound louder compared to the peaks. With a compressor, you’re really doing two things - limiting or reducing transient peaks, and increasing the overall loudness and tonal body of the sound. Note that loudness in this sense has less to do with level/volume and is more closely related to saturation.

A good compressor has at minimum two knobs IMO, and I really like to have four; for me the optimal set of controls is: Ratio, Threshold, Attack, and Makeup Gain. A fifth I like to see is Release but Attack is much more important IMO.

2 Likes