Sing what you play

In this conversation with Nikolai Fraiture, best known as The Strokes’ bassist, he recounts how his bass teacher taught him early on to sing the notes that he plays on the bass, so as to train his musical ear. I was wondering how to approach this: how do I sing basslines that are extend over multiple octaves or contain notes that are out of my range? What do you think?

Edit: the relevant snippet starts at 43:50.

Link to the conversation:

4 Likes

Mark Smith, in his ear training course, encourages singing the tones you play so as to better train your ears. I believe Ariane Cap does as well.
I personally think it’s an effective method.

5 Likes

Thank you for the references. I imagine it is effective myself, but I have trouble singing certain basslines that are in a difficult key for my vocal range or extend over multiple octaves.

4 Likes

Transpose it up to a comfortable key, just for practice purposes. Once you’ve nailed it., move it back down.

4 Likes

if u cant sing it, its easier to hum the pitch. the more you do it the wider your range will become

6 Likes

For me to be able to sing what I play I would have to switch instruments and get a Tuba! :joy:

7 Likes

It would probably sound better if I farted while playing as opposed to singing while playing

4 Likes

I’ve just started doing this in my head or very quietly after I think @terb mentioned it.
It really does help me get a definite bass line and rhythm especially around fills

4 Likes

Percussionist and Bassist! That’s some talent right there! :joy:

3 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

Bassoon and bass…what a combo

2 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

I am laughing so hard right now. Lordy. :rofl:

3 Likes

Good Lord, the stench while farting the notes would be horrible. Float an air biscuit then swat collard greens out of the air with a tennis racket. Sorry, I find toilet humor funny.

2 Likes

That’s pretty interesting, though I’m not sure how I would do that with all the ABBA basslines I’d love to play someday :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s funny right there! :joy:

Must be a military thing.

We used to play this game called “door knob”. Basically you ripped one and had to call “door knob.!”. If you called it before anyone else, then they had to take it and eat it. But if somebody called it before you, you got jumped and had to physically touch a door knob to stop the beating. It got interesting when a whole bunch of Joes were packed in a room, chilling or drinking, and you let one go while distracted and someone calls it. 5 or 6 dudes between you and the door start delivering the punishment and you fight for your life to reach that door knob. The only rule was no hitting above the shoulders or private area. Man I miss those days!

2 Likes

Sorry about the derailment. Back so singing…

2 Likes

Btw, Jacob Collier also talks about this subject in Scott Devine’s video here. He gives an example of where he sings a bassline and then plays it. So I suppose he sings and plays the melody within his (fairly wide, I assume) range.

1 Like