Single coil or humbucker

I’m just a simple journeyman electrician, but that sure looks like a single coil to me. I don’t have it in my hands to say for sure, but from the pictures it seems like it.

4 Likes

Here’s some common varieties:

3 Likes

It’s a fakebucker my 74 Harmony H906 has both fakebuckers

3 Likes

Yep… Make the black wire red, and you have the same as I do.

1 Like

A red a white and a bare wire.

3 wires : the hot (red) and signal ground (black) wires, plus a ground wire (grey) for the metal baseplate and cover.

1 Like

Ok… I just got done wiring the pickgaurd for my Harmony.

I apologize for the worms and my soldering job.

1 Like

Mystery has been solved!

1 Like

So far… I just need to tighten up everything and test it out. I’m pretty sure that these fakebuckers and my wiring is going to work out.

So they were single coils? I was trying to assess if they had any leads wired together but it looks like they had the insulator nibs precut on the ends like it had never been used

1 Like

Yes I found out. They sounded like a should though. All I have to do is tighten up everything and test it out. Then have a playable old bass.

1 Like

Well I got her back together, and nothing. Now it’s time to take her apart again, and hopefully it’s an easy fix.

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Very interesting!

1 Like

I couldn’t get anything with dual pot and the 250K tone pot. So I pulled the dual pot out and installed the same mini pot, plus added another 10uf Cap. I also switched the hot and ground wires for the bridge. Any ideas of what I did wrong.

1 Like

Just at a guess, if there is any connection between the ground side wire for the coil and the ground for the third lead, then by switching the hot and ground in one of them you just ran both pickups to ground?

Hard to say without a diagram of how you wired it.

1 Like

That’s what I’m thinking it is. Everything is all good I do believe. I don’t have any way of testing it for continuity. I haven’t seen my multimeter. I’ll just pull her back apart and check it out.

1 Like

I’ll take pictures as I replace the pots, and resolder them. Plus, I used the original spdt switches. So I’m replacing them with dpdt slide switches. Picture 1…

Getting everything ready, and together.

2 Likes

Picture 2… Just got the output jack and pots installed with the wires laying next to where they will be living. I went and swapped out pots for brand new. I took out the two spdt switches, replaced with two dpdt slide switches.

It looks like you wired a capacitor on both the volume and tone pots? Or is that orange shrink tube insulator on the volume?

1 Like