Single coil or humbucker

Yes… I’m installing a treble bleed circuit also. Which is a capacitor and a resistor. Plus a 10uf capacitor for the tone.

Ahh, so you’ll have a filter on your volume knob as well as the tone? Interesting.

1 Like

Yes… I was ebay right after I started rewiring basses and guitars. Seen these two treble bleed circuits. I bought them… Then asked the guy who sold them to me. If they would work on basses. He said that he had never thought about using on the bass. I’ve got a video of my generic Pbass. With only a 100k pot, and the treble bleed circuit. Anyway they won’t let me upload it.

2 Likes

Ahh cool, just looked it up. So it’s basically a high pass filter that bypasses the volume pot when it goes over a certain resistance to let the treble through.

A couple things occur to me. A 100k pot is getting low for a bass - it might sound kind of dark already. Also, the resistance of the resistor in the bypass circuit matters - its resistance ratio to the pot may be important for when it kicks in, but regardless it’s value will also help determine the filter cutoff.

Thanks for pointing that out though, cool idea.

2 Likes

Your welcome… Me personally don’t like the way 500k pots make basses sound. Plus, if I’m told that I can’t wire it this way or that way. First, I’m going to ask why not, a second I’m going to at least try it. I have come to the 250k volume pot with a 100k tone pot. With a Cap of .68uf to 10uf. I was always told that it’s a preference for the individual. So, I’m not only learning about rewiring basses and guitars. But, I’m also experimenting with the different ohm potentiometer and different value capacitors. If I screw it up… Oh well it’s my basses that I’m working on. Here’s a picture of my generic Pbass. With the Eddie Van Halen one volume pot with treble bleed circuit.

2 Likes