Skipping the slap lessons?

I really suck at slapping. After working really hard at it for about a year, I can finally play that silly part of spooky scary skeletons. I was never able to do the bounce slap like Josh teaches because you have to have your bass up high to have your thumb angled up, which means the neck is further away…always felt like I was holding a rifle. I hold my bass low and vertical-ish, so downthumb or rest stroke are the only 2 that work for me. I still have a very hard time getting a good tone out of the G and D strings. Another challenge I faced is that I don’t have a bony protrusion on my thumb knuckle…my thumb is consistent width, which makes slapping without hitting other strings tough. Initially, I “cheated” by using a thumb ring, which was very helpful.

But the bottom line is that unless you intend on playing funk or in a RHCP cover band, you don’t NEED to slap. It really is its own thing. It takes a ton of time to be able to get accurate and you have to deal with the calluses. Don’t let the slap module stop you from completing the course. Its totally normal to feel frustrated and inadequate the first time through the slap module.

3 Likes

I suck at it; only a few of my favorite artists slap at all (and are mostly local musicians like Kiyoshi and F-Chopper); also, the styles I want to play don’t fit with it.

But I am still glad I learned it and did the slap lessons, simply because it’s fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s a very small slap section on the A string in Rosanna by Toto (according to the tab I’m using) and I just pluck it. I’ve tried again with the slap instructions, but it seems I can only get a decent slap on the open E. Still, the song sounds okay without having to slap.

1 Like

You can just pluck it extra hard for those notes and it comes out sounding good enough in these cases.

1 Like

Yes please. Slap, slap, slapidy slap all night long if I could play some RHCP :metal::sunglasses:

1 Like

Slap is only for the real talented! He he he…

2 Likes

At slapping!

2 Likes

I miss Triumph.

1 Like

He’s still around. Saw him on Colbert not too long ago.

1 Like

This is one of my fave Triumph bits when he skewers Bon Jovi at a New Jersey concert.

SBL has a good YT video just out, “Top 10 Slap Bass Riffs for Beginners”

1 Like

I can’t seem to get any decent tone. Watched a hundred tutorials on YouTube and still can’t get it. Haven’t quite made it to the slap lessons in B2B but I will give it a go, maybe something will click this time (doubt it). Wish I could figure it out, there’s so many killer slap lines I’d love to learn. I figure there’s enough to play outside of slap that it isn’t an essential skill to become a proficient player.

Slap/tap can make some pretty awesome sounds though

2 Likes

Absolute truth!

1 Like

Josh has a (or two) good YouTube videos on slap as well if interested.

2 Likes

You aren’t alone in not getting slap down immediately, it happened to me as well- and I’m quite certain it happens to a lot of folks.
So, shape up that eq to get slap happy. roll to that front pickup and try slapping right at the heel of the fingerboard. in fact, try slapping right ON the end of the fingerboard.

Everyone learns at their own pace, and yours is right for you. I promise you that if you put in the practice, you’ll find it.
Good luck, and keep on thumping!

3 Likes