Skipping the slap lessons?

On the other hand…

:smiley:

5 Likes

The sad thing here is the need for slap in classic funk is now given a bad name by the current slap-a-maniacs.
There are a lot of great songs that need either a bit of slap here and there for emphasis or are just a cold-stoned funk groove that needs a very straightforward slap technique.

I really struggle with this part of slap as I really want to play some of these cooler than cool tunes.

5 Likes

anything played by Louis Johnson is usually a struggle :laughing: esp. if you don’t have huge hands.

That second bass line is great, I’m going got have to check that out!

2 Likes

I just want to chime in with the “at least watch the lessons” crowd. You don’t have to try the slapping, you can play it fingerstyle/pick or you can just spectate if that’s your choice. But, if I remember, as with most of the lessons, Josh throws in tidbits of general information while he’s talking about slap, so you may benefit a little by at least viewing them.

4 Likes

thanks everyone. I ended up watching one of the modules but did the exercises with regular plucking. Josh always does throw in some extra info during workouts which is handy to know. I can slap on the open E but everything else is crappy so I’ll come back to it down the track. Maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You can look at the slap “through” technique too, it’s a bit more forgiving, especially if you don’t have. the optimal setup on your bass. I prefer the slap through technique, it’s much easier too for slapping on the G string, and I like the tone better vs the bounce style.

I think there’s a thread here where Josh discusses the difference between the two styles in response to an SBL video that suggests that slap through is how everyone should slap.

edit: this one Slapping through the string

2 Likes

Exactly what I did and I’m thinking Josh mentions that or maybe someone here on the forums in a previous thread?

5 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

I wasn’t trying to cast a negative light on slap above. I like slap a lot - some of my favorite bass artists are slap masters. I was just saying that while I feel like I should slap more, it just doesn’t work so well with the styles I like to play.

Picking, on the other hand - not sure what you all are saying up there, but picking is the truly refined high end of the art :rofl:

5 Likes

I started the lessons, then skipped them completely and then went back. I think. I’m not actually sure.

Now I can slap. Not a master, but I can definitely do it fairly decently.

If you just don’t want to slap, that’s okay, too. How you play your instrument is entirely up to you.

8 Likes

No, just slap it. its not a long module. If its not ur cup at least u have it complete. its good rhythm training if anything.

3 Likes

Good point- why not give it a shot? Who knows, you might like it :slight_smile:

I think someone above had some good advice too; there’s other slap techniques that might work better for you. Slapping through is popular here. What Mark calls a rest stroke here:

4 Likes

personnally I’m not interested in slap things, I’ve always found it sounds too demonstrative. I much prefer more direct and efficient bass lines. but also it depends a lot on the different styles of music, and the ones I’m listening to are not prone to slap at all.

that said, I always think that the more playing techniques you know, the widest is your expression range with your instrument. That’s why I actually learned all the slap lessons, and I’ve recorded one (and only one) cover focused on slap.

and that said, I don’t think it’s a problem if you skip the slap lessons. you do what you want/can and it won’t prevent you from becoming a good bass player in many styles.

5 Likes

This^^^

Of course, if someone doesn’t plan to ever slap or pick, there’s no point in spending time practicing the technique.

2 Likes

I never slap but I am glad I learned how to slap in both main styles.

2 Likes

6 Likes

@Barney she launched a bbq sauce after she became famous :smiley:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

1 Like

Won’t make further progress harder. I’m 100% no slap person. Just practice the rhythm with regular plucking technique if you feel guilty

2 Likes

I played some slap for about 5 mins today, I’m probably good for another 6 mos now :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I don’t care to learn slap bass. It’s just not my style and it’s not the sound I’m looking for.