Slapping woes

Same here over 20 years ago, and lots of sympathy from me too, @kristine .

Anxiety sucks. Took me a long time to get under control. Good for you for pushing through it to get the video out there. You too, @Koldunya.

Super sorry you had to deal with that. Yuck.

2 Likes

Thank you! It seemed like the best way to illustrate where the focus should be. Plus, you know, art. Glad to hear it matched up with your experience :sweat_smile:

I had only gone through lesson 1 of module 13 when I made the video. When I figure out how to get a sound from the A, D, and G strings, maybe I’ll make a second one. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thank you, @Howard - and like @Koldunya mentioned, the fear around unwanted attention on the interwebs just adds another layer to the stack. It’s definitely a consideration. It’s good that there is an unlisted option (but even that doesn’t erase those fears completely).

2 Likes

Really enjoyed your video @kristine. Very well done and informative!

2 Likes

Thank you for watching, and glad you found it informative! I appreciate you taking a moment to let me know.

3 Likes

Holy cow…I didnt realize you did a whole vid in response to my question. —kind of ignored slapping once i finished the module… Thank you so much number 1; number 2, great vid and very informative.

I think you are right that i an/ was initiating the movement from my thumb. I can feel the difference now actuating the tendons/muscles in my upper arm.

Thanks so much for taking the time to try and help me to such a level…totally unexpected and much appreciated.

One thing i forgot to mention…i think part of the reason i can’t ‘get floppy’ is that i broke my wrist 2 years ago and have a titanium screw in my wrist now at that bone at the base of my hand were all the tendons run over.

But again, thanks so much.

3 Likes

Haha I totally understand. And you’re welcome! Thank YOU for posting your questions and video - I wouldn’t have thought to make this video otherwise. And I’m glad to hear that it helped you figure out where to start that rotation. :slightly_smiling_face:

Owwwwww. Yeah, I can see how that might hold you back a bit!

1 Like

This is how I slap: - YouTube

I believe it is flea style. It should be easy to “get started” and make a decent slap sound this way.

Edit: warning I am not that good but I do find it easy to slap this way and cannot slap with my thumb “up”

1 Like

Main problem I have with flea style is not hitting other strings when doing anything other than the E string.

2 Likes

The main problem I have with Flea style is Flea :joy:

4 Likes

I tell people the same thing that my dad told me when I was around 10 and it took me about 30 more years to realize: “who cares what other people think? You don’t know them, they don’t know you; It doesn’t matter what they think.”.

People don’t spend much time thinking about what you do, they’re too busying worrying about themselves to pay that much attention.

2 Likes

Appreciated, but that conversation is about men being creepy/stalker-ish to women on the internet, not about being sensitive to the criticism of strangers.

9 Likes

Yeah definitely get that, I suppose that is the most noticeable difference between the two when learning. There was no way I could slap with my thumb up when I started, or now! I have to admit it took me a long time to do it properly on the A string and I still mute the E if I can.

Me: Im going to skip Module 13 and go to 14; I’ll come back to it later.

This whole ass forum: Shhh, nobody tell her that Lesson 2 of Module 14 is slap :rofl:

LMAO

2 Likes

Hey—now you are part of the club!

1 Like

I thought you people were my friends! :rofl: (teasing)

Now I’m waiting for @JoshFossgreen to sneak another slap lesson on me at anytime LOL

2 Likes

You really don’t need a floppy wrist, the rotation motion comes from the forearm. Have you tried using the slap through method instead of the bounce slap?

@sshoihet
edit: not trying to be aggressive just showing that he has tried

You and I must have different definitions of “aggressive” :slight_smile:

Not sure about the “whip my thumb down” part, slapping really doesn’t require that much effort… I spend more time/effort trying to stop the bass from making sounds :smiley:

Nate Navarro has lot of good slap stuff and the book “Ultimate Slap Bass” by Stuart Clayton is good and super cheap as an ebook.

1 Like

Yeah muting is hard for sure. Am I weird for muting the E with my slapping hand while slapping the A string?

Whatever works for you :slightly_smiling_face:

PS you might still be weird :smile:

2 Likes