Small hands need help!

That kid’s got a great future ahead of him!

2 Likes

I think I’m becoming a convert to all sorts of Japanese music, and it’s all your fault @howard.

1 Like

Confession: I used to think I probably couldn’t play bass because I have hands like a girl.
Then I stumbled across this lady’s videos and was just like “Oh… I’m a dumbass…” :open_mouth:

These days I’m thankfully a little more educated about bass players.

9 Likes

But you’re also in here, so you can e a badass instead. :smiley:

2 Likes

You arent the only one that has the flying pinky issue… as beginners/intermediate players Im sure most of us struggle with that!

And I am also like you…so driven to the point of detriment to myself. If I cant be “Good” then I dont want to do it. I have to keep telling myself that “Good” at bass will take a long time and a lot of patience. Just enjoy the moment, learn something new every day, and in time all of this will come together!

2 Likes

@PeteP Haha, true!

@howard By the way Peter Hook is why I play bass!

1 Like

Daamnnn… so little hands…NO EXCUSE! That young squire is KILLIN it!

2 Likes

Me too! :slight_smile:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

5 Likes

It doesn’t have to take a long time, but for some people it does. For some people it comes easily. Some of us have issues to overcome along the way, or at the beginning. Some of us will put in 5 hours a day and get ‘good’ in weeks. some of us will only have an hour a week to spare and will take months or years to get ‘good’.

Little hands shouldn’t stop you. Missing fingers shouldn’t stop you. MS/Parkinson’s shouldn’t stop you. Being lazy shouldn’t stop you. Having a busy life shouldn’t stop you. But not everybody you see/hear will be at the same pace or level as you - and that’s OK! And ‘good’ is a very relative and very movable point. We’re all good, it’s just that some are gooder than others. :thinking:

4 Likes

That’s why I signed up for B2B - I didn’t wanna simply be a “Good” bassist, I wanted to be a “BADASS” bassist!!:rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I’ve been complaining silently that my hands are short that why I can’t play the bass until I saw this video today.

It’s obvious I gat a lot of work to do.
I wonder when this kid started playing and where he’dbe in the next 10yrs?
I’m totally embarrassed :rage::rage::roll_eyes::blush::joy::joy::joy::joy:
4 Likes

All that and his bass face is killing it! :+1:

1 Like

O yeahhh, the bass face is the most intimidating part😂

2 Likes

I love this thread.

3 Likes

Not to mention, he’s wearing Flea’s skeleton outfit LOL
Flea Skeketon

2 Likes

It’s a well known belief around here that @JoshFossgreen is an alien being.

3 Likes

I have another small hands question. I arrived at the improvising lesson with the C major scale and I remember Josh saying that my Palm should not touch the neck and up to the 12th string it’s no problem for me, but the C major scale on the 12+ frets my pink simply isn’t long enough to reach the string without the palm touching the neck. I either have to touch the neck or let go with my thumb so I can turn my wrist more, which is quite painful and of course I don’t have the thumb for pressure.

Saw in other threads that with technique advice a video is really helpful so I made one.
Hopefully I also made visually clear what my problem is. I tried to.

3 Likes

This video may help. From memory, he says to move your thumb more towards the bottom of the neck to give you extra reach. I struggle with this too though.

3 Likes

Excellent clarity on the issue!
Yes, you’ll need to adjust body and position to get at those notes…

And - the Nitti video offers good advice, and the thumb position HAS to move when you get way up there.
Don’t let it slide all the way off… but it can creep around and move and accommodate the fingering.
I think you’ve diagnosed and solved it!

3 Likes

Oh man. I’m totally losing it over here. The facial expressions. Pure gold. He’s not only got the bass down, he even got the bass face down. Can’t decide in which he shows more skill. Still laughing…

@JT Yes, this video has helped.

@Gio I think so, but still wasn’t sure if I was right with my solution. Your description has additionally helped. Thanks.

4 Likes