Snapped a String

I tuned it BEAD and it sounds exactly like a 5 string. Except only the good parts :slight_smile:

BEAD tuning is fun. Very easy to do on most 4-strings, just buy a 5-string set and put the lower four strings on. Maybe file the nut a bit if needed (I did).

This is a very common metal tuning.

It’s even better for the bass; BEAD is lower tension than EADG.

5 Likes

Interesting. I wonder if I can get away without filing the nut; and I wonder how my Jazz would sound like this

1 Like

pretty awesome I am guessing

free band name suggestion: Growly B

2 Likes

Interesting

3 Likes

Meh. Cheaper to buy the D’Addario 5-string set, plus .125 is super wimpy for a B. And you would still need to file, most likely.

Plus the D’Addario strings are probably better.

Probably want to look in to nut files too. I just used modeling files I had and was fine.

1 Like

topic:

1 Like

Wow. I find it fascinating how many people buy from Amazon. If I can get it from a music store and it’s not that much more and I don’t need it urgently (unless they have next day shipping), then I will. I use Amazon when that isn’t the case. I just know that the more people shift business to Amazon, the more of these stores will cease to exist. And I’d hate to not have a local music store anymore. I’ve seen this happen a lot with hobby games stores as well. I’m not a die hard “fight the man” type of person or anything, but I do try where I can. Not telling anyone else what to do, just stating my process. If you want to keep going direct to Amazon in first instance, there is nothing wrong with that. I have almost daily deliveries from Amazon, but my stance with specialty stores is a bit different than bread and butter items.

3 Likes

Sometimes I buy from SoundHouse (Japan’s version of Sweetwater) but really that’s no different than Amazon.

I could buy from the online stores of the music chains here too but often they are the fulfillers in Amazon and Rakuten (basically, Japan’s other Amazon) anyway.

Sometimes I will go to the stores and have bought from them before (big ticket items, even, including two basses) but for strings, meh, Amazon is fine.

2 Likes

Yeah, and again, that’s perfectly cool. But I think people would be surprised to know how much music stores rely on non-instrument sales to keep themselves going. Not only is is the additional revenue and margin, but it keeps traffic coming to them.

3 Likes

Right, and volume keeps them in manufacturer discounts, etc. I will buy from a store if I need something and happen to be out near a store. But I don’t think I am going to make a trip to a store for just strings if I’m not already out.

Weirdly I probably would for picks though. I guess the differentiator is if I want to look at something, or know exactly what I want to order, for small items like these.

2 Likes

I’m off the beaten path, people don’t have exotic things like 5 string basses. heck they can’t even do a setup at my local store. I was in there this week (buying picks @howard) and didn’t see any strings for 5 string basses.

We are so rural here that literally a bald eagle flew past my window 15 feet away yesterday.

I could special order strings in but that would take some time. I’ll stop by and ask. But I did order from Amazon as I don’t want my bass down for days. Should get here Monday.

5 Likes

What’s recommended for B strings? I figured 130. They have the medium (130) and heavy (140) also available. I would imagine 140 to be too big for a 34” scale. Not sure how much difference a 35” scale makes though.

I’m using the regular GHS Bass boomers (44-105) on mine.

2 Likes

130 or 135.

2 Likes

Interesting thread, thanks.

I’ve got my Jazz tuned in Drop D now and may try BEAD. I mean what’s the worst that can happen, I get a new nut?

2 Likes

Yep. In fact it might make sense just to order a new nut now too and file it appropriately; pop your old one off and keep it for going back to EADG. Changing nuts is usually very easy.

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking the Jazz is the perfect bass to try it on. I am sure they make Jazz nuts, and won’t have to worry about fitment as much

1 Like

In addition to new nuts, if you get a zero fret nut, it is more adaptable to different string sizes because the guides in the nut are wider as they are just there to hold the strings roughly in place from side to side. Might want to check that out.

2 Likes

@Wombat-metal I got mine from Sweetwater. . . . :slight_smile:

I get almost all my musical equipment from them. Great customer service!

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

I’m fortunate enough to have The Bass Centre here in Melbourne.
They’re usually running some sort of deal and they nearly always arrive the next day.
If not Artist Guitars are very good

1 Like

I’ve bought from Sweetwater and from Strings And Beyond.

2 Likes