So! Bummed!

40 years ago, my father in law had a 1971 Mach 1. He sold it to a young man with the stipulation that if he ever sold it, he would get first dibs to buy it back. Fast forward 20 years and he did sell it back to him, after he hit a dear with it, at double what he bought it for. A car like that does appreciate a lot over 20 years, so maybe it was fair. It’s all fixed up now.

Although you may never get that bass back, I’m sure there will be many basses in your future.

10 Likes

Best thing is to not look back. If I sell something and the buyer flips it and sells it (successfully) for more I’ll take that as a lesson learned.

I bought an import Squier dimension bass from a guy for well below the market price, he didn’t disclosed that the action was almost half an inch up. I to it home and figure out that it was setup as B E A D but he tuned it standard. Swapped out the strings and it plays like a dream set it up, sold it and double my margins.

The guy messaged me and asked how I got the action down low, seriously?

2 Likes

Turns out, there IS a happy ending after all!

Here’s the TL/DR version of the above: sold a bass I loved, instantly regretted selling it the moment it left my hands, tried to buy it back when it showed up on Reverb, but the guy was a tool and so I resolved myself to never seeing it again.

Last week… it showed up on Reverb again. I knew it was mine because the guy who bought it from me used my pictures in the ad, those got taken down and replaced with his own pictures, and the seller last week was using the pictures from when he bought it. Plus, there are a few tell-tale signs on the bass itself.

I didn’t eff around this time. I just bought it. Didn’t even make an offer, just bought it at the listed price… I didn’t want it to get sold out from under me. It’s out on a truck for delivery right now. I’ve been chatting bass on Reverb with the guy who I bought it from this time. Super cool dude, after hearing the story he refunded me the shipping cost (I didn’t fish for, or ask for, any sort of a discount, but after hearing the story he thought it would be a nice thing to do).

Honestly, I don’t think I could be happier with any situation regarding or relating to bass.

11 Likes

There is karma in this world

3 Likes

Yay! The Prodigal Bass hath returneth to from whence it came.

3 Likes

funny how things come back. i sold a TC sub n up pedal once to a guy and turns out he wasn’t too far from me so i just drove it out to him. cool guy. about a year later i missed the pedal so i bought one on reverb from a… local guy. yep turns out it was the same guy and the same pedal. we hung out for a night at a brewery he works at.

5 Likes

Now that’s just put a big ol’ smile on my face.
I’m delighted you got it back. :+1:

2 Likes

Wow, the USE one you regretted selling right away?

where does that put you with the MIM again?
Are you gust going to be a dual Dimension household?

1 Like

Yup, that Carvin B4. The one that the second I handed it over, I cringed.

Unfortunately, it HAD to go. My GF (the family CFO) and I have a two-bass agreement. Well, it’s actually a “however many basses I can have without pulling money from the general fund” agreement, which means that if I want a bass, I have to sell something for it. And I HAD to get my B4 back.

3 Likes

So now you are without any Dimensions?
Sorry man, that blows.

2 Likes

Sadly, I am.

I would still have the MiM Dim (huh, that sounds like an Asian cuisine… dim sum, mim dim) had the B4 not popped back up. It’s hard to describe - or maybe not, what with all the GAS around here - but I get really attached to certain physical things. And I was really attached to that B4, more so than any bass I’ve ever had.

It was stupid of me to sell it, and I knew that when I sold it. I remember when the dude came to pick it up, I was really unhappy when I handed it over to him to test out, I felt almost like someone was putting their hands on my GF. And when he left, I knew I had made the wrong decision.

I tried to get it back when that guy sold it, but he turned out to be a dick. When it popped up again, it seemed almost like Fate. Kinda like how the One Ring works to return to Sauron’s hand, this B4 was working its way back to me.

Oh, yeah, I also sometimes anthropomorphize certain physical things, I never said I was right in the head. :smiley:

Anyway, I had to have it back at whatever the cost, monetary or otherwise. Which meant the MiM Dim had to go, and I didn’t think twice about it. And, you know, the lesson cost me. All told I’ve spent probably three times what the bass is actually worth; I’ve actually bought this one bass twice, LOL. When I bought it originally, it came with a super nice Carvin OHSC and a cool Carvin strap; the guy I sold it to didn’t include those in his sale, so the guy I bought it back from didn’t have them. So on top of buying the bass twice I’m out a case and strap.

And I would do it again in a heartbeat. I really liked my Dim and because of the work I’d done on it I felt a connection to it, but… this was my B4, man.

3 Likes

PM Sent