So! Bummed!

Just venting here. A couple of months back, I sold a Carvin B4 on Reverb. As soon as it left my house, I immediately regretted it and the reason I sold it fell through. I still regret selling it.

Tonight, it showed up on Reverb.

How do I know that one is the one I sold? Those are my pictures of it in my garage. 90% of the ad text are the exact words I wrote.

What a bummer.

7 Likes

I feel your pain. How much did he uncharge?

4 Likes

But isn’t there an obvious happy ending to this story?

3 Likes

Moral of the story…
It is ALWAYS easier and cheaper to wait to sell a bass then to try to buy it back.

4 Likes

I bought it for $500 (on Reverb, no less), sold it to him for less than that, and he’s selling it for $800.

I mean, kinda? So… an amp came up for sale that was the same model as one I had to sell during a divorce. I listed the bass only to get the amp. While the guy was here buying the bass, the amp sold. About a week later, a very similar model came up for sale so I bought that. But all things considered, in full 20/20 hindsight, I’d rather have that bass than either of the amps, and selling it was a knee-jerk reaction I regret.

And I wouldn’t be so… bothered, I guess, if he wasn’t re-selling it using my pictures taken in my garage, and the words I wrote, when I sold it to him. That seems… I dunno… kinda… underhanded or something. I dunno, it just feels weird.

7 Likes

Ah sorry, I thought you might still have the funds from selling it.

I mean you could take it as a compliment - he obviously thinks your marketing was worth reusing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Have you tried talking with him? Tell him your story, he might be decent and agree to sell for the value you sold. There are still some good humans around!

4 Likes

I messaged him that exact same thing last night. :slight_smile:

Waiting for a reply now.

5 Likes

fingers crossed!

2 Likes

What a tool this guy is.

I offered to buy it back for the price he paid. He referenced our conversation from when he bought it, then gave me a “feel free to make reasonable purchase offers, thanks for your interest in the bass.”

I told him he should take down my pictures and ad text and use his own. But I doubt that’ll happen.

4 Likes

That’s not how the internet works. Once you post a picture it’s out there. You no longer control it.

3 Likes

No that’s not how things work. You own the copyright for photos that you create no matter how you share them and anyone who uses them without authorization is infringing on your copyright.

2 Likes

Not to seem unsympathetic but if you truly like the bass enough, just buy it back and consider the difference as the cost of a life lesson. I’ve wasted at least $5000 in gear trading, but if taking any of it back caused me to not be where I’m at now I would do it all again. Regrets and lessons both come from trials, and both stay with you forever. Just gotta pick which one you want to carry. You have the chance to own your bass again, some people never get that

2 Likes

That’s a lovely thought. However we don’t live in some kind of utopian world. It’s a jungle out there in the internet and not everyone plays by the rules. It’s capitalism at its finest. Tim sold his bass and whoever bought it has no obligation to sell it for less. If he makes money well that’s good for him.
Life isn’t fair.

2 Likes

Well we do live in a world of DMCA takedown notices and lawyers and one most definitely can get them taken down and/or sue for infringement. The rest I don’t really care about.

If I had the $800 to spare, I would have bought it in a second. But we just made the final payment on a $122,000 backyard renovation, so the bank account is a little anemic at the moment. Sadly. Otherwise it would be on its way right now.

While that’s true, I’ve spoken my peace to him. I don’t really care that he uses the pics, it’s just scummy that he is. It’s almost misrepresentation because that’s not an accurate picture of the bass he’s selling right now, it’s a picture of the bass as it was sold three months ago. And if those are the same strings, they’re no longer “brand new D’Addario strings”.

That is 100% true. I made a (bad) decision to sell the bass, dude doesn’t have to sell it back to me at his cost. He doesn’t even have to sell it back to me at all, even at his asking price. It’s my own damned fault for being an impulsive dunderhead.

I’m just whinging because I know there are others here who have made similar mistakes and probably still kick themselves, just like I am kicking myself today.

4 Likes

@JustTim please don’t think me unsympathetic. I feel your frustration. However, sometimes it’s just best to move on.

5 Likes

No, no, I’m right there with you. Like I said above, I said my peace to him. Nothing I can do now, and it’s not like I’m lacking in basses. I just… that’s the only bass I’ve ever really regretted selling, so it stings a bit is all.

2 Likes

Hey man you made the right decision at the time during the circumstances

1 Like

Fingers crossed that’s yours.
I sold a Les Paul and regretted it…

1 Like