I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

Nice! Looks great.

I recommend justinguitar.com - great coverage of the basics for free, does a better job for that than any paid course I found. If you want a paid course that’s also fun, Rob Scallon’s is good - just a little slow.

Paul Davids’ course is also great but there’s little handholding.

3 Likes

Thanks. Ya I’m going to settle in with Justin at some point.

Any string recos?

2 Likes

IMO Elixirs are great, D’Addario are always good too. I like the feel of 10’s much much more than 9’s, though 9’s are a little easier to fret. YMMV; guitar strings are very cheap so I would buy a set of 10’s and and set of 9’s and see which you prefer.

Only three strings have windings on guitars so the flats vs rounds thing is much less of a distinction. You can get flats too but I don’t think you’ll care.

1 Like

PM me your address and I’ll throw some of my Ernie Ball spares in the mail to you :ok_hand:

3 Likes

there you go :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, another thing - amp sims. You are going to want good amp sims. I recommend Amplitube 5. I also love Kuassa’s sims, especially their Orange, Fender and Marshall sims.

Amps make a huge huge difference for guitar, much more than bass.

1 Like

Ya I’ve already figure that out and am totally in the no amp camp for a guitar only one.
Amplitube makes sense here.

2 Likes

Agreed. Justin is the go-to-guy.

3 Likes

Caveat: I have never owned a Telecaster.

For the Les Paul I favoured Ernie Ball 11-48 but for the Strat, NYXL 9s.
If I was stringing a tele I’d start with the NYXLs too. They just seem to suit the less bombastic playing style, have a lovely clarity about them and last an eternity.

The Blonde Baja is a Beauty! (aaah, alliterative appreciation!)

3 Likes

Yeah one reason I like 10’s more than 9’s is most of my guitars have been LP scale. Though I liked 10’s better on my superstrat too.

1 Like

Looks nice! Enjoy!
On a 25.5” scale guitar I would recommend 9s, at least to start.
Fingers are going to hurt as is already.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. Get ready to lose sympathy for complaints about bass string pain.

It sucks bad but just play through it or it will never get better. Eventually you get the callouses and stop noticing. Well, until you start doing barre chords.

3 Likes

I use D’addario EXL on all my electric guitars. Also the Dunlop strings are very good.

10/46 is nice on a Tele, you can go heavier but not lighter in my opinion. A Tele is a rustic guitar, it needs a bit of string tension to work well.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried these elixir nano or opti-web strings. They come reco’ed for tele too.

And what would the difference be between EXL and NYXLs (which show up on a lot of lists for teles)?

2 Likes

NYXL’s are basically slightly better EXL’s. I use EXLs mostly myself but NYCL will lasta bit longer. But for guitar that’s like 2 months instead of 1.5.

I have Elixir 10’s on my Revstar now and love them. I’ll check which exact string later.

edit: they are Elixir NanoWeb Light 10/46. Great strings.

2 Likes

I’ve tried Elixir Nanoweb on acoustic. They’re a nice string.

1 Like

I thought they were marketing hype until I tried them. My Eastman SB59 came with them. They are my new favorite guitar string.

1 Like

Oh yeah definitely not, they are my favorite bass string by a mile

2 Likes

I assume $99 is a good price for this?

1 Like

Yep!