So long Bass Player magazine

I’ve owned one and it was pretty good as far as display went provided it was adequately bright in the room. However I would prefer a backlit display.

1 Like

Agree the regards the actual Kindles
(I too use the Kindle App on the cheap tablet)

Can buy a great many books for the same cost
Though again, storage concerns etc

I’m always conflicted between my love of physical books and tangible stuff (vs digital) and my aversion to clutter.

No longer own CDs ot DVDs (nor have a way to play them) but just can’t bring myself to go bookless, nor read digital versions of magazines.
Partly justifying the books as trying to set a good example to the kids too - as in not appearing to always be on a phone/tablet

3 Likes

There is a HUGE difference between reading books on a proper Kindle, or a tablet like a Kindle Fire or iPad. Even with the dedicated Kindle app on the tablet. It’s night and day, the proper Kindle is that much better.

Of course, the proper Kindle doesn’t do so well with PDF or non-re-pageable content like magazines.

And as far as our kids are concerned? We may be the last generation leaving behind non digital content. I can pretty much guarantee they won’t be leaving non digital content. As Egon said in Ghostbusters, “print is dead”.

Sad but true.

4 Likes

This is super-important. News articles, books, magazines, social media, Candy Crush - in many ways it all looks like the same activity when you’re staring at a screen. I try to point out all the different ways I use my computer to my daughter

3 Likes

They have backlit models now

As far as physical books, I used to be a consultant, and found myself moving to a new city every year or two as the contracts went which is part of the business, and packing 30 boxes of books was a hassle. I loved my books, something with the tactile feel of the pages, but don’t miss lugging them around

1 Like

3 Likes

Also, it’s nice to not be looking at a screen at some point in a day!

4 Likes

I like books.
I like magazines.
I love vinyl.

I think I’d rather find a good place for a book to go Vs all the digital ones.
I can see where a kindle would be beneficial for travel, but I travel for work VERY VERY lite. So another device is a nope. iPad is for movies and shows in the hotel so I generally am not reading when traveling anyway

3 Likes

Bear in mind that Ebay is full of old magazines at ridiculously low prices, and there are lots of old copies of Bass Player on there.

Unlike some magazines, say like electronics magazines, the bass player ones don’t really age. One from the 80’s is pretty much as relevant as one from last year.

I just saw one with a big feature on Flea. Might grab it myself!

4 Likes

^^^This

1 Like

The nice thing about a Kindle besides the storing aspect, is if it dies on you, when you buy another you can re-download everything you had (if you want it). I’ve gone through 2.

2 Likes

Agreed. Searched everywhere for a transcription of the bass solo on Scorpio by Dennis Coffey (Bob Babbitt on bass). Saw that there had been a full transcription in the September 2010 issue of Bass Player. Picked up a very clean copy on Ebay for next to nothing (6 months of issues from that year for $13). (Unfortunately, that solo turned out to be Billie Jean times 100---- it will wait)

4 Likes

Believe in me who believes in you.

2 Likes

Hard agree.

Kobo’s are another good Kindle alternative that also let you hire eBooks from your local library. I’ve got the Clara HD version.

2 Likes

Just listened - Bob Babbitt’s solo reminded me (in a good way :grinning: ) of Willie Week’s solo from the same year:

Willie Weeks Solo from ‘Voices Inside (Everything is Everything)’ 1971 - YouTube

1 Like

Classic. Thanks for reminding me of that one. I’ll be listening to that a few times today.

1 Like

I have a big binder where I ripped out a bout a year’s worth of their (always impeccable and excellent) transcriptions. It’s a sight-reading, bass-line master class. They very rarely chose easy to play tunes.
I’ve had a lot of great memories with that magazine.
Including the good 'ol days when I would send them press releases and my dream was to be on the cover… or, really, anywhere in there.
Good times.

7 Likes

I’m with you. I love books—especially the ones printed with the ragged, uneven edges— the nostalgia, mystery and art of their creation is intriguing. I have books from my great relatives from the 1800’s—SO cool to actually physically hold the history they’ve held in my hands.

4 Likes

I imagine the online mag will have PDFs of transcriptions, same as before. It’d be weird if they wouldn’t.

3 Likes

Recently bought all the Bass Player back numbers going back to November 2011 on an app called pocketmags for £19.99. Lots of reading still to be done. I prefer it on digital because I can read the mobile version at work, and the digital print version on a large tablet at home.

3 Likes