So long Bass Player magazine

oh crap.

Downloaded the app.

I won’t surface again until 2034.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Oh crap indeed, me too!

How did you, eh, DO that? I can see how to buy individual issues, but not a whole shitload of them.

1 Like

i think you purchase pocketmag+ and you get all of them.

1 Like

It was a special offer. I think I may have shown an interest in Bassplayer but didn’t buy. Then after a week or two they made this offer. Bank holiday offers also seem to be a thing with pocketmags.
You can also subscribe to one magazine title, or pay a subscription that lets you have hundreds of magazine titles. I may just have been lucky that it was an offer at the time though.

1 Like

For sure.
I just love my little scrap book…
Silly, tactile, bibliophile me.

5 Likes

Received my first and last ever copy of Bass Player Magazine through the postbox this morning.

I’ll be sure to savour it.

4 Likes

I see on the Pocketmags website that there are 100 more back issues available for the UK version of Bass Player magazine (Nov. 2011, 141 back issues) than for the US version (back to Sept. 2019, 41 back issues). The UK version is also cheaper per issue ($2.99 vs. $5.99). The covers look the same, issue for issue, as far back as the US Sept. 2019 issue (except for the current US “The Final Issue”).

Does anyone know if there are any differences in content between the two versions?

I think the UK version has all the words spelled correctly e.g. colour :wink:

4 Likes

@Barney Guess I left myself open for that one! But otherwise, the articles and features are the same?

The only other difference is Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders are called Royale with Cheeses in those issues.

8 Likes

:rofl:

Sale on now! Anyone still interested in downloading digital back issues of Bass Player from Pocketmags? Currently 99p per issue. Follow the link:

1 Like

This weekend only

Same for U.S. back issues, at $1.19 (final issue $5.99).

If anyone can elaborate on particular issues which would be especially worth buying, aside from what can be seen on the covers, please post. I’m trying to check out those that interest me, but if there were any important articles in others issues, it’s hard to tell from the thumbnail images of the contents of each issue.

If you start a “little free library,” just be sure to call it a “book swap” or something and do NOT buy anything from LFL (i.e., blueprints). It’s a for-profit company run by a litigious grifter who likes to sue people for using the words “little free library” to refer to their neighbourhood book swap or book shelf.

1 Like

I would have thought at AI tools such as ChatGPT might lead to changes in the roles and responsibilities of certain types of writers, such as in the news and publishing industries. However, it’s important to note that ChatGPT is not a replacement for human writers, but rather a tool that can assist them. It can automate the process of generating written content, such as news articles or product descriptions, which can save time and resources for companies. However, it still requires human oversight and editing to ensure the output is accurate, relevant, and of high quality.

Additionally, ChatGPT can not replace human writers when it comes to complex and nuanced writing, such as investigative journalism, opinion pieces, poetry and fiction. These types of writing require creativity, critical thinking and insight, which are skills that only a human writer possess.

It may change the way some types of writing are produced, but it doesn’t look like it is going to eliminate the role of most writers entirely. Instead, probably augment their abilities, allowing them to write more efficiently, but not replacing the need for human creativity and oversight.

This was written by ChatGPT.

3 Likes