So Many Basses, So Little Time

Continuing the discussion from Show Us Your Basses:

My First Love, the one you never forget, Let me introduce Blondie… :point_left:
And talk about arm candy…! I first strummed her strings about 6 years ago.
Fender J Bass Special Edition,

About a year later I was looking for an inexpensive bass for work to practice during lunch time. But with the amp, it was a little bulky to drag into work everyday…
Yamaha TBRX174EW, Mango Wood,

That same year, after shopping around awhile, I found the perfect answer…
It has active pickups with a small jack for earbuds or headphones and a small jack for iPod/iPhone/iPad, I’d hookup my phone(in my pocket) and headphones, crank it up and jam with the band at work in my cubical for 30 minutes everyday…
Headless, Tuning gears in the body, very short but feels like a long scale,
Traveler Guitar TB-4P,

I was always attracted to the natural wood basses and this mahogany axe caught my eye, and not just because Josh has a similar one, although I look at him a little differently now, but because I like his teaching style, the humor, and technique…
Peavey Grind, Neck-Through design,

I had always wanted to get a Hofner (Beatles Bass), but while trying to find one discovered they where have quality control issues. My order was on back-order for over a year because the merchant I was buying it from had to keep returning them because of craftsmanship defects.
I was so bent on getting a Hollow-Body I found this Semi-Hollow-Body, and Wow, what sustain, what tone, sounds like angels to my ears, beautiful… But, there was a terrible neck dive and would sway out from your body because of where the strap connects. This is my workout Bass, like going to the gym, doing it for the results…
Epiphone, Jack Casady Signature,

Last and certainty not least, my sexy Bass made of walnut…
Ibanez AFR4WAP,

15 Likes

nice family @NoTrebleHere ,
cheers Brian

4 Likes

Love the AFR. It’s so funky it’s cool.

5 Likes

Exactly, looks like a Bass on Drugs, but so smooth to handle…
Sooo Ergonomically Correct, I would say it’s my favorite…

5 Likes

I never thought of it like that, but I am somewhat of a family man type…
Yeah, and like kids, each one has their own personality…!
Epiphone is the trouble maker of the family…

5 Likes

Man oh man you have some beauties there @NoTrebleHere
The Ibanez is cool as but there’s something very intriguing about the Yamaha. I can’t say I’ve seen a mango wood bass before

4 Likes

I had the 900 for a short while it’s practically the same shape. It’s nowhere near. I like the ergonomic of it. When I find a good deal on one I’ll definitely jump on that.

5 Likes

The Yamaha TRBX is built well, didn’t have ant issues or problems with it, sounds good, and it’s cheap (I mean money wise), I paid $200 and it was brand spankin new. There are plenty of new ones out there…

5 Likes

I love that peavey Grind. I almost bought one just like yours, but they guy was asking $400 for it, which was find, except the pictures didn’t show the horrible buckle rash, and lots of dings all over it, so when I got there, I was a bit disappointed. He asked what I would pay for it, and I didn’t even really want it, so I just threw a number out, $200, and he said no of course.

I watched it for months, and I think he ended up selling it for $200, or at least that is the price it was listed at when it was marked SOLD
Its had life left in it, and it was a beautiful bass, but it needed some major refinishing to make it look worth even $300.
I am glad I passed, but I still would like one of those, or a Cirrus like Josh’s

4 Likes

Very nice looking gear @NoTrebleHere ! I have a Traveler TB-4P also.

5 Likes

I really like my Peavey, warm tone, the neck feels good, the color and feel of the mahogany body, a beautiful bass…

2 Likes

The Traveler Guitar worked out very good for me, that’s where I got my Prime Plucking Time, was in the office, I took it on camping trips too, used a battery powered speaker, plugged into the headphone jack, for others to enjoy and join in…

4 Likes

For me as well. I travel a lot for my job and whenever I’m flying somewhere I take the TB-4P. i used it on some covers during the early part of the year.

3 Likes

Although I’ve never taken it on a plane yet, I did take it on a 10 day cruise to Hawaii. There was a few times I practiced in the cabin and a few times, while my wife was getting a message and facial, I took it into the lounge area and ran through my play list while having a beer or two.
It really has a purpose, I like my Traveler Guitar TB-4P…

3 Likes

I have been looking at grabbing one of these.
I travel a lot (normally).
Once the fall comes and travel restrictions are lifted in my company, I think I will give one a shot. I have an electronic ‘travel sax’ as well…decisions, decisions.

4 Likes

I really get good use out of it.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, since the lockdown of the pandemic, I haven’t even touched mine, except for the photo shoot of this posting, I’m looking forward to finding excuses to venture out into the new world with it.
After researching all the travel type basses out there, I settled on this one because of how short it is, but has the feel of a full size guitar, and it’s like always in tune every time I check it, only when there’s a big weather change.

3 Likes

I hear ya! I just put a new set of D’Addario Nickel Wound (45-100) strings that I found by accident while spring cleaning a few weeks ago. I did a little setup and intonation to get it ready for a two week trip to San Diego in July. It sounds great!

2 Likes

A possible new cover with it in the pipeline @JerryP ?

2 Likes

“Lived” there for a year and a half building a factory in Tecate years ago. One of the best places on earth.

4 Likes