So, You Want To Transcribe a Song

I’m not sure of the version, but Im sure it’s the latest since it updates automatically .
I’m not aware of the bundles to which you refer???

2 Likes

By version I ment the Masters or Home edition.
Here is a screen shot from the site which also shows the bundles I mentioned.

2 Likes

Oh I have the Masters. I’ve seen those add ons, but never really thought about getting any.

2 Likes

How are you inputting the music?

2 Likes

One note at a time lol

3 Likes

There are even more free music notation software out there, @PamPurrs.

I’ve used several and indeed the one you’re become most familiar with, is the one to be used.

If you’re looking for something to notate your scores: just compare, settle and learn to use it! See for example this list https://www.slant.co/topics/12102/~free-music-composing-notation-based-software

2 Likes

Thank you for the list.
I was not aware that Crescendo had a FREE non commercial version.

Do you know if there is a difference between the free version and the $40 Master edition?

2 Likes

As far as I know, there are quite a few features in the Masters edition that you don’t get in the free edition. I’ve had Crescendo for so long, I don’t remember what they are. I bought it on sale, and got a really good price on it. It’s a lifetime license, so no worries about being extorted for more money every year.

2 Likes

Nice to know. Thank you.

2 Likes

Great post, all of it, I think “Happy Birthday” was the first song I transcribed too, lol, it just felt like one that I’d be able to pick up, and correct any mistakes quickly on, but yeah, this transcribing is quite time consuming.

I remember @Gio always recommends doing it when you can though, for so many reasons, it makes you learn intervals, ear training, and, (according to him), you just get better at it over time. I took a Skype lesson with him once, and the “homework” was to transcribe some stuff. Doh! It’s hard, and I got a lot wrong, but it’s worth the effort.

I think we had a Challenge thread once, where someone named a song, and some of us would try to transcribe it, and it was interesting to see how different people almost heard the same song differently. It wasn’t the most popular thread :rofl: , as transcribing isn’t the most glamorous thing, but, like you said, satisfying, in its own way!

5 Likes

I’m beginning to think “Happy Birthday” may be to the bass what “Chopsticks” is to piano. :rofl:

3 Likes

Free version is limited in the more advanced function.
Home version is for non commercial, Masters is for commercial use. That’s what I still know. :rofl:

One reason not to use it for me, I needed a commercial licence back then, to be able to write my music (for an artist and get paid)
The other one was that it didn’t click for me, I didn’t find it intuitive enough for my taste.
Something it did with Musescore.org after comparing them with Finale and Sibelius.

One thing to keep in mind: all these are meant for composing music and writing scores / sheetmusic down. Not initially for transcribing. You learn a lot more using this kind of software as you really have to listen and visualise what you hear.
I prefer that, using bass and my voice above using pianokeyboard. But that mostly depends on what music I’m transcribing (or arranging or writing for that matter)

You are aware that for example NCH has specific transcribing software available instead of Crecendo, called Twelvekeys? Meant to be combined with Cresendo to be able to transcribe more easily and write you own scores. (Something Musescore was meant to do from the start, but didn’t do very well when innitially released)

Sibelius and Finale have long been the better, more easier choice, when rearranging / changing scores, then Cresendo or Musescore (up till Musescore 3.x).
So nowadays you can’t go wrong with either one, you just have to pick one, stick to it and learn the way that software needs to be used.

1 Like

The main reason for me to get involved with transcribing was to help with ear training and to correct some of the songs I work on for other people I jam with, more efficiently. I am surprised at how gratifying it is.

I purchased a MIDI controller to more easily enter transcriptions and turn them into sheet music and TAB.
Once I get into recording I also plan able to add virtual instruments in Reaper and I think the MIDI controller will be a big help there.

Should be interesting.

3 Likes

Thank you for all the the advice.
I will stick with MuseScore for now and see how it works out.

2 Likes

I use these…

I am pretty sure there is no free version, but I find it the easiest package to learn.
The bigger, replaceable eraser seems to help. :rofl:

I’ve dabbled in all the packages and Notion for iPad (you can ‘write’ with a pencil and it magically converts it to printed notation) but I find myself correcting mistakes to be very labor intensive. It’s good for simple stuff but complex scores create a lot of errors.

There is something about the process of writing it down that I actually enjoy vs. keying it in.

3 Likes

Always good to see another pencil fan. Always preferred them over pens myself :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m an engineer in real life, pencils are a must over pens.
The only time I reach for a pen is when doing a crossword puzzle.

2 Likes

If you are ever in Tokyo, make sure you go to Loft. First time I visited I spent like a half hour in their pencil section.

1 Like

I sincerly doubt I will get out of music stores if I ever hit up Tokyo/Japan!

3 Likes

Might be checking out a DarkRay in a shop tomorrow :slight_smile:

5 Likes