Solution to neck dive

So I just bought a Yamaha bass and I’m getting the dreaded neck dive. Two things I’ve tried and work to an extent but haven’t eradicated it completely. When sitting I tried resting the body of the bass between both thighs not on one, issue it extends the neck and makes it a stretch, but the bass held firm. The other was to buy a new strap with padding/ grip on it, this is what I’ve stuck with but I still get a bit of dive every so often. I like the weight idea, def going to try and add something like you have.

2 Likes

They make this strap by this company called slinger straps.
They’re a little expensive but might help with neck dive. You have to get used to the strap too. Good Luck fixing that dive.

2 Likes

I tried that slinger strap a couple years ago and hated it. I was able to get a full refund from the company.
It’s really not designed to resolve neck dive as much as it is for back and shoulder relief (although it does latently solve neck dive).

1 Like

Actually if you read there add it says it Eliminates Neck Dive. It also for shoulder and back. You got to get used to it, beacuse its like also having a belt on, not just a shoulder strap. Not for everybody. I actually didn’t like it either, you just don’t have the freedom that your use to on a regular strap. when you put that strap on that bass is not going any where. I still have mine. Since my accident all my basses are 7.5 lbs or lighter. Then again I’m only playing short scale basses now a days.

2 Likes

I mainly hated putting it on and taking it off. I practice for several hours a day and take many breaks. I hated having to fight to get the thing off, and then struggle to untangle it every time I put it back on. I can’t even imagine having to go through all that in a live setting. (shudder).
Once you get it on, it’s fine. It’s putting it on and taking it off that’s problematic.

1 Like
1 Like

All of the carpet tape I have ever seen to stop sliding always had double sided sticky tape.
Will have to check this single sticky sided tape out when the hardware stores open up again.
Thanks for the tip.

3 Likes

My Cort A4 never had this problem so it has not been an issue but the new Vintera has much larger headstock and the tuners are in line “helping” the neck dive a bunch…

I noticed when I am using my neopren Kliq Aircell Strap it is hanging on to me so well that it does not allow the neck dive countering it with friction…

If I use my crappier Nylon EBS strap as I did first couple of days it is tends to slide on my clothes and I can feel the difficulty of holding the neck increased…

@PamPurrs’s solution got me thinking… What about using the bass without the strap?

Would it help to replace the strap peg with something bigger and heavier…

Sorry about the kinky joke here :smiley: Couldn’t help myself.

2 Likes

Without a strap your left hand will not be free to move around because you will be holding the neck up and I cannot see playing even a 1/2 hour session that way. Too much fatigue and risk for RSI in my opinion.

1 Like

Agreed 100%

1 Like

Left hand in any situation shouldn’t be holding the neck up…

I am not a big fan of playing without a strap at all but you would be simply be holding the bass on your lap with your right arm in this situation. It also works to a certain extend while standing with the strap but you wouldn’t want to add the weight of your arm on your shoulders…

2 Likes

That’s if you play sitting, which I NEVER do. I see people playing while sitting and it seems very peculiar to me.
I must have a strap.

1 Like

You know what we need? A 360’ rotating belt buckle to clip the back of your bass on your belt! It would have a locking mechanism of sort so once you set the angle you want it just stays there!

Both of your hands would be free!

Weight of the bass would be on your hips and legs freeing your shoulder and back!

It would look like floating in the air!

You could unlock it when you want and give it a twirl!

I am %70 sure that I saw it was used in some kind of western while three mariaccis were playing…

4 Likes

My short term goal is to get out of the chair and stand up playing.
I am getting there, more each day.
I think it actually helps you become a better player as you are not looking down at the fretboard so closely and you begin to actually play vs. practice/learn to play.

1 Like

@John_E standing helps me get into the groove in a way that I can’t accomplish while sitting. I can move and groove and feel like I’m dancing to the rhythm.
When my butt is in a chair, I feel like I should have a TV remote in one hand and a cocktail in the other.
I just can’t play bass sitting down, it’s unnatural to me.

2 Likes

@PamPurrs - playing bass with a cocktail in hand should be a longer term goal!

1 Like

I’m working on it. For now, I have to set it on a stool. Hopefully, someday I’ll be able to play while actually holding the cocktail.
I might try to learn how to slap with drink in hand and see what happens.

5 Likes

LOL, they already make one .

1 Like

I haven’t tried that one (I only tried the shoulder strap one), but it seems like that much weight on the mid section would be unbearable. Maybe I’m wrong, I hope someone here will try one and let us all know.

I would try it, but I’m not drilling an extra hole in my bass to do so… (it requires a strap button on the “lower horn”)

When backpacking, a properly worn pack puts the weight on the hips - the shoulder straps are there mainly for stabilization. So, in theory at least, it’s a good idea…

2 Likes