Harness Strap

Has anyone ever tried this, or known of anyone who tried it? It appears to be a solution to my back discomfort while I’m practicing, but it’s a bit pricey and looks like a PIA to put on. Comments?

5 Likes

wow that is interesting… never seen that before, thanks for posting.

3 Likes

I went ahead and ordered one. I’ll post my review after I get a chance to try it.

7 Likes

Thanks, @PamPurrs

I’ll save this as a possible fix for neck dive, if my other plans don’t work.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

waiting for your review @PamPurrs ! I don’t plan to buy one (old school guy here) but that’s interesting

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d be old school too if it wasn’t for back pain. It’s taking me forever to get through B2B because I can’t play more than a few minutes at a time before the back pain makes me take a break. I spend most of my time in the recliner watching the videos or reading. Yeah, I’m learning a lot, but not getting much actual practice.

4 Likes

maybe you could try without a strap ? I never use a strap when I play sitting (I know it’s against the rules but … well … yeah …) and that’s fine for me. Really I can’t use a strap when I play sitting, it’s very uncomfortable to me.

4 Likes

How 'bout this…

@PamPurrs - Don’t gotta hang it off your shoulder… Don’t gotta rest it on your knee… Don’t gotta worry about neck dive…

Actually, I’m planning on getting one for myself…

6 Likes

@Lanny that’s definitely something I’d consider for the future.

4 Likes

@PamPurrs Cool! I look forward to the review.

2 Likes

Can’t believe that I’m posting this, but I found that when I wear a Back Brace Support when I play @PamPurrs , it helps tremendously. Being (and getting) old can kinda suck - especially when it comes to being able to do the things we use to do several years ago… Maybe instead of another harness or strap, maybe a really good back support brace would work. I’ve noticed that when I wear mine, the weight of the bass is actually transferred to my legs (where all lifted and carried weight should be). We don’t think of these things when we’re young, but when age gets in the way… just outsmart it…

4 Likes

@Lanny The back brace is a great idea!

I was also looking at something like this walk up guitar stand…

There is also the K&M model if you want something more high end.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WalkUpStand--k-and-m-performer-walk-up-guitar-stand-electric

4 Likes

@eric.kiser that’s interesting. Of course, I couldn’t help but look up a video of it in use…

2 Likes

There is also the Gruvgear duostrap, which you might consider if the Slinger isn’t to your liking.

2 Likes

I tried this for a few days, and it doesn’t help with the back issues whatsoever. I really had hoped it would. Even worse, it’s a major PIA to get this thing on. I can’t even imagine being on stage with a crowd of people watching while going through the contortions of putting this on. Bottom line: I’m returning it.
I bought a nice Levy’s leather 4 1/2 inch strap and it helps considerably.

2 Likes

@Lanny I cannot thank you enough for mentioning the back brace. I had one laying around from years ago (It took some digging to find it) and put it on. Wow, what a relief. I never thought about this until you mentioned it. Thank you!

3 Likes

@PamPurrs Glad to hear you found some relief. I’m looking forward to getting one of those Levy’s Leathers straps myself.

2 Likes

@Lanny @PamPurrs @eric.kiser I already have a cushioning strap, thicker even then the Levy’s. Even so, it doesn’t work always (I play on an older heavy Jazzbass) I build myself something simular to this: https://www.standupstrings.com/guitar-vertical-bass-guitar-accessory/, just for the fun of playing like a double bass.
But as with the double bass, I’ve still got back pain on my left shoulder.

2 Likes

@RemcoRG Recommendations from the forum pretty much come down to posture, technique, and equipment. If your still not able to get any relief, it’s probably time to visit a doctor.

Good luck. I hope you find some relief soon. It really sucks when the body gets in the way of the BASS.

1 Like

I’ve not tried a harness strap - it looks interesting but I reckon it will feel even more restrictive.

I use an “Air Cell” strap similar to the below (think mine was same as the below which is also advertised as the KLIQ brand on Amazon) which has little “air-bags” along the strap:

It’s not a miracle, as in practice it doesn’t quite feel as cushioned as you’d imagine BUT I do like the material - neoprene that stretches slightly so the strap doesn’t dig in as much.

Theres different thicknesses too - wider seems to be better as it spreads out the weight.

2 Likes