Solution to neck dive

Agreed 100%

1 Like

Left hand in any situation shouldnā€™t be holding the neck upā€¦

I am not a big fan of playing without a strap at all but you would be simply be holding the bass on your lap with your right arm in this situation. It also works to a certain extend while standing with the strap but you wouldnā€™t want to add the weight of your arm on your shouldersā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s if you play sitting, which I NEVER do. I see people playing while sitting and it seems very peculiar to me.
I must have a strap.

1 Like

You know what we need? A 360ā€™ rotating belt buckle to clip the back of your bass on your belt! It would have a locking mechanism of sort so once you set the angle you want it just stays there!

Both of your hands would be free!

Weight of the bass would be on your hips and legs freeing your shoulder and back!

It would look like floating in the air!

You could unlock it when you want and give it a twirl!

I am %70 sure that I saw it was used in some kind of western while three mariaccis were playingā€¦

4 Likes

My short term goal is to get out of the chair and stand up playing.
I am getting there, more each day.
I think it actually helps you become a better player as you are not looking down at the fretboard so closely and you begin to actually play vs. practice/learn to play.

1 Like

@John_E standing helps me get into the groove in a way that I canā€™t accomplish while sitting. I can move and groove and feel like Iā€™m dancing to the rhythm.
When my butt is in a chair, I feel like I should have a TV remote in one hand and a cocktail in the other.
I just canā€™t play bass sitting down, itā€™s unnatural to me.

2 Likes

@PamPurrs - playing bass with a cocktail in hand should be a longer term goal!

1 Like

Iā€™m working on it. For now, I have to set it on a stool. Hopefully, someday Iā€™ll be able to play while actually holding the cocktail.
I might try to learn how to slap with drink in hand and see what happens.

5 Likes

LOL, they already make one .

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried that one (I only tried the shoulder strap one), but it seems like that much weight on the mid section would be unbearable. Maybe Iā€™m wrong, I hope someone here will try one and let us all know.

I would try it, but Iā€™m not drilling an extra hole in my bass to do soā€¦ (it requires a strap button on the ā€œlower hornā€)

When backpacking, a properly worn pack puts the weight on the hips - the shoulder straps are there mainly for stabilization. So, in theory at least, itā€™s a good ideaā€¦

2 Likes

I believe those mariachis were ZZ-Top and it was in Back to the Future 3.
In fact,
that might not be the only movie it has been in.
AND
there is a really strong psosibility that ZZ-top does it on stage, and / in videos.

There may be othrs, but my money is on ZZ Top

2 Likes

Ah man, I have to, for all but a few minutes once in a while, just to get used to it, but I canā€™t last long on my knees.

I see the Surgeon next week to discuss and hopefully set a date for the surgery, or if they have not submitted to insurance, I will ask him to say it is URGENT, so I can get em done quick. like Right Fā€™n NOW. , so I can stand and play.

I am gonna use this Pam Quote when I see the Dr.

He will have to get my knees done quick when he sees that.

3 Likes

Damn you are right! So they werenā€™t mariachis at allā€¦

Because I remember that they were doing it after an awkward silence (as in Biff getting frisbeed in the head) ā€¦ Couldnā€™t find a clip of it on the phone thoughā€¦

Such a good reason to watch the movies again!

Canā€™t argue with that logic.

Here is a shot of them doing it in the Legs Video.

I actually think they do this alot on stage and in videos now that I think of it.

Here is some making of Back to the Future 3, showing it and talking about how happy they were to be on set and part of everything

I started it at 18 seconds in, where it starts happening. In this one, Frank Beardā€™s drum flips too. LOL

F-Chopper spins hers all the time, like at the end of this clip:

1 Like

I am really enjoying the parallel this thread has got intoā€¦ Thanks @T_dub and @howard for the good memoriesā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s always cracked me up that heā€™s the one thatā€™s never had a beard.

2 Likes

Those were always my thoughts.
Either he changed his name to Beard, cuz he didnā€™t want to grow one, and it can still be a band of 3 beards.
Or its just a funny coincidence, which most likely it is, but yeah, for years I have always chuckled about that anytime ZZ Top comes on or is in a movie or what not.

1 Like

steve albiniā€™s band big black all wore hip straps for their guitars/basses. steve still does. they got them custom made at a local chicago leather/bondage store that sadly is now closed.

1 Like