Solution to neck dive

Sorry @T_dub, I hope it gets better for you.

I must say, if for any reason I was UNABLE to stand while playing (as I know is the case with many of you), I would most certainly adapt and play in a chair.
As most of you know, when I first started learning bass in June of 2019 I was recovering from the devastating radiation and chemo treatments for my throat cancer. In addition to many other horrible side effects, I had lost 60 lbs, much of it in the form of muscle.
I spent most of those days in the recliner with a bag of liquid food connected to the feeding tube in my stomach. I had lost so much muscle tissue in my legs that I couldnā€™t stand for more than about ten minutes, and even less with a 10 lb bass strapped across my shoulder. I had also lost some back muscle, so my back didnā€™t do so well either.
I tried playing in the recliner, but the arms got in the way. I tried a drum throne, a bar stool, a dining room chairā€¦ nothing felt right.
So I set my mind on rehabilitating my muscles; which meant daily workout, proper diet, and as much bass practice as I could take while standing. I practiced for many hours a day, taking many ā€œchairā€ breaks along the way. Iā€™d practice for 2 minutes, then sit at my laptop for 5 minutes watching lessons or videos.
As I began to regain strength and endurance, the practice segments got longer and the breaks became less frequent. Today, I can play for as long as an hour before needing a break.
Toby @T_dub the reason Iā€™m sharing all this is to give you hope. I truly hope your surgery goes well and you recover nicely from it, and will someday share a similar story.

2 Likes

I started playing seated more when I began mixing and mastering stuff last year and I kind of like it now. I still prefer standing but Iā€™ve gotten to where itā€™s only a slight preference.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs, the next 50s100c from me will be standing! Thanks for the motivation.

1 Like

Let me know when you post it, Iā€™d love to see/hear it. I donā€™t follow that thread much since Iā€™m not participating.

1 Like

Very cleaver idea there my lady,Iā€™m a newb and I didnā€™t want to spend to much on a bass not knowing the possibilities of not being able to get it or like it even. So the bass I bought also had a rather heavy neck. But changing the places the strap attached done the trick for me. Then I changed out the strings and pick ups and I like it now, may sound crazy but learning to work on my bass myself Iā€™ve become quite fond of my project bass now lol. Thanks for the share

4 Likes

Totally agree @harperpaulb. I am in the process of retrofitting every component on my Squire Jazz Bass and I feel such a connection to that bass now, it is my go to for all my lessons, etc.

1 Like

Gotta love Julia!

https://www.instagram.com/p/COkq87XF7OO/?igshid=1w7lju54oxwnr

4 Likes

Haha . . . I canā€™t even walk and play my bass at the same time! . . . :grin:

4 Likes

The quest goes onā€¦

I took the weight off because I was getting annoyed at it banging against the body of my bass while strapping on the bass.

I then tried the carpet tape idea, but it worked so well it actually removed my top when I took the bass off. Thankfully, I was in my music room and not on stage :scream_cat: I removed the carpet tape, and oddly there is just enough glue residue left on the strap to keep it from sliding. Iā€™ll try that for awhile.

If that doesnā€™t work, Iā€™m going to tape this belt to the underside of my strap.

That should solve the problem.

7 Likes

Even kinkier!

2 Likes

I like this idea. Very punk rock.

1 Like

Hi all, Iā€™m happy to move my top strap button to eliminate my neck dive but any suggestions as to the best place to put it as I donā€™t want to move it more than once

3 Likes

What kind of bass do you have, @Jim_May?

Any pics you could upload would be helpful. In general, if the upper strap button is located on the back of the body, it can cause problems from rolling forward as well.

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

i have never been aware of neck dive. maybe i just have never had a bass with this problem. or maybe iā€™m just not that sensitive to it. but i have noticed that no matter what bass it is somebody out there will complain that it has it.

3 Likes

This is the first bass Iā€™ve had with neck dive. Iā€™m not complaining, just making an observation.
This thread is about solutions, not complaints.

1 Like

woops no that came out wrong, Iā€™m not saying you are complaining. what I meant is that if you take any bass somebody somewhere says it dives, so maybe some people are more aware of it then others.

3 Likes

I felt it a little on my Warwick 5 string. Not on the 4 string of the same model.

3 Likes

and I would think with that Itty bitty body a hofner would absolutely be one that would.

3 Likes

You got that right!

2 Likes

Yeah, I am not sure if I am sensitive enough to notice it. And I am not saying being sensitive is a bad thing, I just think I lack the sense of it. Kind of like being a big guy and my normal pressure on things tends to be kind of high.
Like opening things, they come off easy, but if it needs a sensitive touch, I can easily break something without thinking about it, so neck dive would have to be something that I would have to struggle to hold the bass up, to notice it.
I am sure that those that do notice neck dive, have to struggle a little, which is why is is concerning to some.

Just checked my Ray4. if I set it on my right leg, it will dive. But once I put the strap on, it stays up with out any trouble.
I guess I would have to seek out a Thunderbird, or something notorious for neck dive and check it out to see if I can feel the difference.

1 Like