Solution to neck dive

@T_dub you playing in a sitting position with your bass in your lap. I don’t think neck dive is even a thing for those who play in a chair. I play standing, with the bass strapped on me. If I take my hands off the bass and the neck ends up pointing at the floor, that’s neck dive. The Hofner does that because the neck is heavier than the body.
It’s mainly an issue when I’m playing a fast paced song and I’m relying on muscle memory to get my fingers to the correct fret. If the neck is slowly sloping downward while I’m playing, it changes where the frets are in relation to my memory. Having to hold the neck up while playing makes it hard to maneuver up and down the neck efficiently.
All the other basses I’ve owned would stay put if I took my hands off, and that’s how I like it.
I hate how when demoing a bass in the music store they hand you the bass and give you a stool to sit on and play it. I have no way of knowing if the bass I’m playing has neck dive. This is what happened when I bought the Hofner. I’m going to start carrying a strap with me when I go to the music store so I can test them while it’s strapped on.

2 Likes

Absolutely, I always ask for a strap. I can’t play them comfortably without one.

I do stand and play sometimes, and don’t get neck dive either.
I am sure that other people experience neck dive. I don’t argue that fact at all, I was more agreeing with Mike @itsratso to say I don’t notice it either.

I fully understand your point and realize this is a problem for many people, and it would be very frustrating to have frets going to different places when the neck does not stay in the same position all the time.
I am sorry if anything i said came off as downplaying , or belittling the situation, because that was not my intention.

2 Likes

Problem solved @Jazzbass19
Purchased and fitted a Lekato 3.5 inch super padded strap and voila! No dive.
FYI I’ve got a Squier P Bass, it’s my first bass and I’m just waiting for my b2b DVD’s to arrive. Currently practicing walking fingers (no neck work yet lol) across the strings and trying to get a consistent pluck. Apparently my fingers don’t do as they’re told :tired_face:

3 Likes

Don’t worry, you’re going to teach them who’s boss :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

I cured my short scale EB3 neck dive by moving the strap button from the back of the body to the heel.

2 Likes

Rather than weighting the body, how about lightening the head stock with helium balloons? Practical and fun #nobadideas
500_F_146235952_ObjABEDPcAFsc78i9phm9GksYLFXozV3

4 Likes

Okay Buzzers, the diving weight solution worked okay, but I grew tired of that thing dangling on my strap, not to mention the added weight to the normally “light as a feather” Hofner. So, I discovered another (better) solution, and this one’s a keeper.
It’s called the Acoustic Quick Release system, and it works great! It shifts the weight from where the neck connects to the body, to the headstock, redistributing it perfectly. No more neck dive, and no added weight.
Here’re some photos.

6 Likes