Some muting advice (agree or disagree?)

Your action height looks fine to me.

When muting with my right hand, I don’t push down on the top like that. Instead I just touch the string as if I were about to pluck it, but don’t pluck. Sometimes I will leave my ring finger just sitting on a string like that to mute it as well.

3 Likes

Ahhhh!!!

Thanks so much for the video.
I now totally understand.

Yes - the attack of your finger coming back to the string to mute it is too hard. You have to have a more gentle touch.
Pressure without attack. That moment of attack is simulating slap bass, where your finger is hitting the string hard enough to bang it against the frets.
If you don’t like it, lighten up on the fingers.

Having said that - when I’m practicing, there are times when I LOVE hitting the strings that hard with my right hand. It adds a little percussion and rhythm to what I’m doing, and sometimes I really like the vibe.

Having said thaaaat… - most musicians you’ll play with - (particularly drummers) do NOT like it when we do this while playing with others. There are so many other people keeping rhythm, that often our little clicks and clacks are not adding anything, and are getting in the way of someone else’s part.

So.
I’d recommend trying to lighten up the right hand so that you are in control of when it happens.
Then, if you dig it, go hog wild…
But reign it in when playing with others!

7 Likes

Thank you both :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just finished module three, and oohh lord, I got the groove, felt flow for the first time and got rid of this sound by just adjusting the angle of the bass to have the neck a bit higher. I now start to have my fingers flow over the strings and pull less on em.

Nevertheless I noticed when muting the E-String with my thumb I sometimes hit the left magnet of the pickup which, when not touching any other strings leads to an excessive high pitched static noise. Any idea what that could be?

4 Likes

Dude! That’s awesome!

3 Likes

Anyone any tips on this? May I have to lower my pickup a bit?

4 Likes

@enkhiel - this is when your thumb touches the magnet?
No bass noise, no string noise, no nothing as far as sound from the instrument?

What happens when you let go of the bass entirely (no contact from hands at all) and then you touch a string. Any change?

It sounds like something in the ground loop - either your electrical in the house or the bass, but I don’t know enough to be certain of any of this.
Some of our more tech-savvy folks could weigh in perhaps, but it would help to have those further details too.

@terb? @howard? others?

5 Likes

No idea!

3 Likes

is it your finger that hits the magnet, or the E string with the pressure you apply on it when muting ? just to be sure …

I will assume it’s the first case. the problem here is very probably that the magnets of your pickups are connected to a wire of the pickup which should be the ground wire (with a baseplate probably, or a bar magnet). if this is this case and if the pickup is wired inverse (hot to the ground / ground to the hot) it would explain this behavior.

Then the solution, if everything else is well grounded, would be to inverse the two wires of the pickup.

5 Likes

When letting loose completely I only have a small buzz, I assume that is just the amp and considered normal, but yeah, when touching the left side (looking from above) of the magnet (any left magnet of any of the 2 pickups) produces a weird screeching noise

password is “bb” again

You might have to crank up the volume this time as today the behaviour was better and less audible with my day2day volume level so for demonstration purposes and pumped it up a bit.

2 Likes

oh I had not realized it was a humbucker, I was thinking about a P split coil (which sometimes have a baseplate).

do you have a split, and if yes do you have this behavior on both the split and the humbucking wiring ?

2 Likes

What is a Split? :frowning:

2 Likes

a single-coil mode

2 Likes

Its a Yamaha TRBX 304, with dual pick up (bridge & neck) and a dial to switch between both if that is what you mean. I have no clue regarding any other internals :frowning:

2 Likes

Is the neck pick up split, like half under the other half and offset so one picks up the E and A string and the other picks up the D and G string. I think that’s what @terb is asking.

ON my RBX 170 It is that way, but it sure if it is on your TRBX 304 @enkhiel

Ah, now I understand, no, it is a single piece

2 Likes

no that was not my question :sweat_smile:

but it this point I think it would be interesting to find someone who own the exact same model and ask if the same behavior occurs, to know if this is specific to this bass or if the model is just made this way

2 Likes

Oh, I re-read and see you were asking what MODE he is in, not what MODEL the pick up is. Now I see where you were going.

1 Like

I looked it up on the Yamaha website and I couldn’t find anything that said these pickups could be used in single coil mode.

We have quite a few people who have been on the forums who do own, or have owned a TRBX304. Surely there is someone else here that can test on their own bass and see if they get the same response from the pickups.

Warning: I’m not an electrician, I just read enough to be dangerous.

From what I have found, this is not uncommon, and happens with humbuckers (like yours) and with both split and single coils. It has to do with the pole pieces being exposed and how the grounding is done.

One report said, when proper grounding was done, this went away, but the instrument “lost some high end frequencies”.

If this is true, that would explain why it would be built that way. However, I’m hesitant to buy in to this idea. Lots of pickups don’t have exposed poles. And plenty of instruments are well grounded without people complaining about “high end frequency loss”.

@terb or anybody else, please feel free to correct anything I got wrong.

If nothing else you can contact Yamaha Support. I am certainly interested in any response you get.

1 Like

I think that is a surefire indication that, indeed, your pickup is way too high! If I push the e-string so that it touches the pickup, the 22nd fret is in the way!

1 Like