Some muting advice (agree or disagree?)

is it your finger that hits the magnet, or the E string with the pressure you apply on it when muting ? just to be sure …

I will assume it’s the first case. the problem here is very probably that the magnets of your pickups are connected to a wire of the pickup which should be the ground wire (with a baseplate probably, or a bar magnet). if this is this case and if the pickup is wired inverse (hot to the ground / ground to the hot) it would explain this behavior.

Then the solution, if everything else is well grounded, would be to inverse the two wires of the pickup.

5 Likes

When letting loose completely I only have a small buzz, I assume that is just the amp and considered normal, but yeah, when touching the left side (looking from above) of the magnet (any left magnet of any of the 2 pickups) produces a weird screeching noise

password is “bb” again

You might have to crank up the volume this time as today the behaviour was better and less audible with my day2day volume level so for demonstration purposes and pumped it up a bit.

2 Likes

oh I had not realized it was a humbucker, I was thinking about a P split coil (which sometimes have a baseplate).

do you have a split, and if yes do you have this behavior on both the split and the humbucking wiring ?

2 Likes

What is a Split? :frowning:

2 Likes

a single-coil mode

2 Likes

Its a Yamaha TRBX 304, with dual pick up (bridge & neck) and a dial to switch between both if that is what you mean. I have no clue regarding any other internals :frowning:

2 Likes

Is the neck pick up split, like half under the other half and offset so one picks up the E and A string and the other picks up the D and G string. I think that’s what @terb is asking.

ON my RBX 170 It is that way, but it sure if it is on your TRBX 304 @enkhiel

Ah, now I understand, no, it is a single piece

2 Likes

no that was not my question :sweat_smile:

but it this point I think it would be interesting to find someone who own the exact same model and ask if the same behavior occurs, to know if this is specific to this bass or if the model is just made this way

2 Likes

Oh, I re-read and see you were asking what MODE he is in, not what MODEL the pick up is. Now I see where you were going.

1 Like

I looked it up on the Yamaha website and I couldn’t find anything that said these pickups could be used in single coil mode.

We have quite a few people who have been on the forums who do own, or have owned a TRBX304. Surely there is someone else here that can test on their own bass and see if they get the same response from the pickups.

Warning: I’m not an electrician, I just read enough to be dangerous.

From what I have found, this is not uncommon, and happens with humbuckers (like yours) and with both split and single coils. It has to do with the pole pieces being exposed and how the grounding is done.

One report said, when proper grounding was done, this went away, but the instrument “lost some high end frequencies”.

If this is true, that would explain why it would be built that way. However, I’m hesitant to buy in to this idea. Lots of pickups don’t have exposed poles. And plenty of instruments are well grounded without people complaining about “high end frequency loss”.

@terb or anybody else, please feel free to correct anything I got wrong.

If nothing else you can contact Yamaha Support. I am certainly interested in any response you get.

1 Like

I think that is a surefire indication that, indeed, your pickup is way too high! If I push the e-string so that it touches the pickup, the 22nd fret is in the way!

1 Like

not sure we are talking about the same here. I don’t press down E, I just rest my thumb on it to mute it. My pickups are hight wise as recommended in the manual. Neck Pickups 3mm below the strings, bridge pickup 2mm below the strings.

It’s more like that, the tip of my thumb touches the magnet when muting:

2 Likes

I will give that a try for sure, thanks!

1 Like

@enkhiel your bridge pup is to high. Lower it by 5mm
Those measurments are for when you hold the last fret not when it’s not fretted.

1 Like

Ah… ok. I thought you pushed down the string until it hit the magnet!
OK, I’m out of my depth now…

1 Like

Ahh ok! Will do, thanks

3 Likes

@enkhiel any problems just let me know. Your measurements are correct.

1 Like

Okay, this really gets whacky now… today I couldn’t even enjoy my lessons because it was so loud. I have a slight hum when doing nothing, touching the magnet makes it go crazy BUT the weird thing… the further away I move from the Amp the louder it gets!?
I already changed the cable and moved the Amp from a triple plug t a single AC wall Plug, no change. wtf?
Attached a picture of the internals, not sure it helps…

thanks guys

3 Likes

@enkhiel have you got a multimeter?

3 Likes