Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Seems to have gone through some compression issues after exporting from ableton, then into iMovie, then to YouTube. I purposely made the bass louder than the original mix. It sounded great listening to the MP3 from my headphones. I’ll adjust the mix for the next one!

2 Likes

I think the level is quite good actually.
I even heard it well through my crappy phone speaker, as well as on my good PC speakers.
Both a-ok

2 Likes

It’s not perfect but I think it’s time to move on to another song, or instead of one of my favorites this will become one I hate :wink:

6 Likes

Good job on the cover Jakub! Sounded great.
:+1:

2 Likes

Hey @jakub.r.salata, great start to the challenge.
Overall pretty good job. Timing very good.
Pay a bit of attention to note duration and rests to dial it into spot on.

4 Likes

Well, here’s my attempt at this song. Backing tracks and my playing to the right speaker, original recording in the left speaker. Used a DAW to record off my NUX MPP-3 and synced time a bit between the original and backing tracks, but otherwise un-edited. My plan was to sync this with video, but that’s stretching my tech skills at this moment. I saved to google drive, hope that’s ok. There’s a few timing issues and some note screw-ups, but I’m not in the mood to record it again today. I’ll keep working at it and post up a revised recording at a later date.

Ok, I think I figured out the video/audio thing. Here’s a link to the video - slightly out of sync but not too bad, I think. Again, original is in the left channel and no-bass backing track + me on the right.

3 Likes

Great job @brik1970! I honestly didn’t hear any timing/note screw ups (I watched video, but didn’t listen to google drive version). I envy you for getting it in 3 takes, I had to listen to that guy screaming about pudding half a million times or so :slight_smile: Very nice tone too.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. :slightly_smiling_face: Both versions are identical audio, I just merged it to the video for the youtube post (first time really filming myself in any capacity and first time using video/audio editing software - so I had a few hurdles to conquer here… lol).

I guess I should have been a little more clear - this was my third attempt at recording it. I practiced the song quite a bit before this… about 6 hours across 2 or 3 days.

As for the tone compliment, thank you. There was no post-processing on it in the DAW, this was raw output from my bass and headphone amp into the recording software. I was rather happy with how that came out, so thank you (second time recording audio and messing with a DAW).

2 Likes

No, I figured you practiced a lot before recording. That’s the key to doing a good cover, play it until it becomes autopilot. I envy the 3 recording attempts though, since my brain seems to stop working the instant I press record!

4 Likes

Youtube hit me with the copyright, reposting this one (did another take, boosted the bass a bit). Hopefully this works!

https://audio.jukehost.co.uk/4BOlBJ1lyhmJO54bWYKThUp72JowcpHO

3 Likes

Another good one @Ant !

Hi everyone,
Since I was told to cross posting my first ever cover in the appropriate #50-songs-challenge thread …
Here it is :

As i mentioned previously, I’m quite nervous taking video of myself but it’s really rewarding as a learning process. Now for some technical aspects :

• Bass is recorded on Linux (Fedora) with a Spark Mini amp (an overpriced gadget with good features … still overpriced though)
  • I wrote the play-along tab with musescore, then run the playback and capture my screen. Then import and edit the resulting video in Flowblade (a non-linear video editor)
  • Finally, last thing I wanted to share is scrcpy :
    a little app that works with Linux (and as far as I know, windows too) that lets you remotely control an android device. It makes things a lot easier to hit the video record button as I prepare myself to play.

Audio file only :

Musescore Tab :
musescore zip archive

6 Likes

Nice work @mediaklan !

2 Likes

Excellent job! And I like the play along score - very cool…

3 Likes

@mediaklan nicely done.

2 Likes

Can I have some pudding?

Played with Jino Jazz Bass (Drop D Tuning)
H Pickup isolated

Plugged into Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 then XLR Out to Volt 276. Volt using GTR Comp setting + Vintage. Recorded with Garageband and OBS. Finished with iMovie.

Thanks for checking it out!

7 Likes

“If you don’t eat your pizza , you can’t have any pudding”

3 Likes

Well done all around, perfect groove, tone and mix great.

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch @John_E :smiley:

1 Like

My first ever attempt to record video and audio. Started the Bassbuzz journey yesterday, so I hope it will get better. :slight_smile: Another Brick In The Wall part 2 bass cover Bassbuzz 50 song challenge - YouTube

5 Likes