Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

I would love to, but I just bought a Boss Katana 210. I’m not rich enough for GAS yet! :rofl:

1 Like

Not sure how long this will stay up on Youtube but I couldn’t figure out how to upload and embed a MP3.

First time playing this one, so it took me a few tries, especially picking up on the audio cues when the solo is coming to an end. Didn’t have time to sync the video with the audio so it’s an audio only track. Hope you guys enjoy!

https://youtu.be/fXQGEk9YcJU

4 Likes

Nice job! My only real comment is that, to me, the bass is a little low on the mix (even with headphones). That could be intentional, and that’s fine - just commenting. Look forward to your next one…

1 Like

You’re in your way! I commented in the covers thread. Well done!

2 Likes

Seems to have gone through some compression issues after exporting from ableton, then into iMovie, then to YouTube. I purposely made the bass louder than the original mix. It sounded great listening to the MP3 from my headphones. I’ll adjust the mix for the next one!

2 Likes

I think the level is quite good actually.
I even heard it well through my crappy phone speaker, as well as on my good PC speakers.
Both a-ok

2 Likes

It’s not perfect but I think it’s time to move on to another song, or instead of one of my favorites this will become one I hate :wink:

6 Likes

Good job on the cover Jakub! Sounded great.
:+1:

2 Likes

Hey @jakub.r.salata, great start to the challenge.
Overall pretty good job. Timing very good.
Pay a bit of attention to note duration and rests to dial it into spot on.

4 Likes

Well, here’s my attempt at this song. Backing tracks and my playing to the right speaker, original recording in the left speaker. Used a DAW to record off my NUX MPP-3 and synced time a bit between the original and backing tracks, but otherwise un-edited. My plan was to sync this with video, but that’s stretching my tech skills at this moment. I saved to google drive, hope that’s ok. There’s a few timing issues and some note screw-ups, but I’m not in the mood to record it again today. I’ll keep working at it and post up a revised recording at a later date.

Ok, I think I figured out the video/audio thing. Here’s a link to the video - slightly out of sync but not too bad, I think. Again, original is in the left channel and no-bass backing track + me on the right.

3 Likes

Great job @brik1970! I honestly didn’t hear any timing/note screw ups (I watched video, but didn’t listen to google drive version). I envy you for getting it in 3 takes, I had to listen to that guy screaming about pudding half a million times or so :slight_smile: Very nice tone too.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. :slightly_smiling_face: Both versions are identical audio, I just merged it to the video for the youtube post (first time really filming myself in any capacity and first time using video/audio editing software - so I had a few hurdles to conquer here… lol).

I guess I should have been a little more clear - this was my third attempt at recording it. I practiced the song quite a bit before this… about 6 hours across 2 or 3 days.

As for the tone compliment, thank you. There was no post-processing on it in the DAW, this was raw output from my bass and headphone amp into the recording software. I was rather happy with how that came out, so thank you (second time recording audio and messing with a DAW).

2 Likes

No, I figured you practiced a lot before recording. That’s the key to doing a good cover, play it until it becomes autopilot. I envy the 3 recording attempts though, since my brain seems to stop working the instant I press record!

4 Likes

Youtube hit me with the copyright, reposting this one (did another take, boosted the bass a bit). Hopefully this works!

https://audio.jukehost.co.uk/4BOlBJ1lyhmJO54bWYKThUp72JowcpHO

3 Likes

Another good one @Ant !

Hi everyone,
Since I was told to cross posting my first ever cover in the appropriate #50-songs-challenge thread …
Here it is :

As i mentioned previously, I’m quite nervous taking video of myself but it’s really rewarding as a learning process. Now for some technical aspects :

• Bass is recorded on Linux (Fedora) with a Spark Mini amp (an overpriced gadget with good features … still overpriced though)
  • I wrote the play-along tab with musescore, then run the playback and capture my screen. Then import and edit the resulting video in Flowblade (a non-linear video editor)
  • Finally, last thing I wanted to share is scrcpy :
    a little app that works with Linux (and as far as I know, windows too) that lets you remotely control an android device. It makes things a lot easier to hit the video record button as I prepare myself to play.

Audio file only :

Musescore Tab :
musescore zip archive

6 Likes

Nice work @mediaklan !

2 Likes

Excellent job! And I like the play along score - very cool…

3 Likes

@mediaklan nicely done.

2 Likes

Can I have some pudding?

Played with Jino Jazz Bass (Drop D Tuning)
H Pickup isolated

Plugged into Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 then XLR Out to Volt 276. Volt using GTR Comp setting + Vintage. Recorded with Garageband and OBS. Finished with iMovie.

Thanks for checking it out!

7 Likes