Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Hi @kowry,
Good first up cover,
The tone was probably a little brite in the the mix, a few fretting issues, some minor timing issues.
The low D in the song ceases after 1 bar, you let it ring out for a couple of bars, its no big deal, minor thing.
As you develop you will see big improvements in your fretting fingers from an economy perspective.
Another thing I’d probably do is keep this recording in the archives and do it again in 6 months and compare them.
You will be amazed, keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

super super tone!

Great job!
Nice wall back there

3 Likes

Excellent!
Man I need to up my video production game now too!

3 Likes

I slid with my Index but put my ring finger down on the 12th fret instead of going all the way up…another option, seemed to work ok for me, and no one missed the sound of poor fret 11.

3 Likes

Just for clarity, the open D ceases after 2 bars, not 1. But yeah, he let it go for 3 bars. It’s not very clear in the tab though to be fair.

2 Likes

thanks @John_E lol I just noticed that my wall is very on-theme for this one. However I can’t promise I will be changing walls for each song :slightly_smiling_face:

And +1 to your point about sliding with index and using another finger to fret 12, I think that works just fine.

3 Likes

@TK-421 - I’ve been into the Motown thing lately where the tone is rolled off and my ear is now happy there. I think I am starting to dislike any highs on bass. I read somewhere where someone said "why in the hell is there a trebble knob on a BASS?. I do get why, haha, but liked how it sounded as is.

5 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve been struggling lately with “what do I want my tone to be?” and it’s helpful to hear what everyone else is doing. Currently, I have my amp at 5 (noon) for bass, mids and treble. And my tone is between 50% and 60% “on.” I do love the Motown bass tone… buttery goodness.

3 Likes

Lol, Video production is above my comprehension. my dad is starting to learn how to do it since he just retired. So I send him my audio from my DAW and my video from my phone and he put them together for me lol.

6 Likes

Hi @JT,
The written music shows 1 bar D and 3 bars rest before playing the open D for 1 1/2 beats onto C for 1/2 and full note on D and 1 beat rest.
Unless i am looking at a different transcription??
Cheers Brian

1 Like

We talk about this earlier in the thread and Josh chimes in. You might want to scroll back and read that. Basically in the original he lets is ring until it does, but he uses flatwounds and they die quicker. The notation is to let the note ring, but then it has rests, so it is confusing. We agreed that letting it ring for about 2 bars feels right. It just needs to stop before the next vocal comes in ideally.

2 Likes

Hi @JT,

no problems, it’s probably to hard to go back and try and find it.
I had a play through of it last night, and it sounded ok played as it is written, i might have a go tonight and sustain for the 2 bars and see how it sounds :+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Good take on ABITW @TK-421!
:+1:

4 Likes

Good job @Regina. Nice tone on the track. With practice, you’ll get the syncing spot on in no time!

4 Likes

Very well done @bjams! Good tone and performance!

3 Likes

Good job @kowry! A bit ‘bright’ on the tone but performance was good! Keep it up!

4 Likes

There’s not much I can add to what has already been said. So I’ll just leave a few remarks

@y.farkash love the tone! I think the bass could be a little more prominent in the mix, overall great job!

@akos beautiful bass! I noticed some minor minor minor tempo issues and some notes deserved a little more length. Nevertheless, great job. The issues you refer with tempo are something that struck with me. When I’m recording, I think I nailed it 100% and when I check back with the recording I notice some tempo issues as well.

@Retta75 gotta love that MusicMan tone. Love the energy. Some fretting issues, probably related with looking away from the fretboard. And maybe too much force used when plucking. Nothing much, with practice this stuff will go away pretty quickly. That periodic table :smiley:

@BigAl nothing to feel sorry about. We’re all here for the same purpose. Juicy tone. Would love to hear it recorded directly.

@John_E love the environment and the tone. You look very relaxed. I like how you anchor your right hand with the pick. As other already said, some minor tempo issues and 1x more on the last portion of the song. Great job!

@Vegaswizzle very nice detail with the brick magic on your bass. That’s what I call being dressed for the occasion. Are the frets slanted or is it just an optical illusion? Don’t you get tired with the right arm hovering the bass instead of “sitting” on the bass? Great job!

@TK-421 groovy and relaxed, loved the attitude. Also very good tone. I think some of the notes were cut too short and 1 or 2 fretting issues, nothing to worry. Good job. And Settlers of Catan for the win.

@Regina as I told you on discord, I love how lightly you touch the strings. Really uncommon for a beginner. I had to do focused practice to get rid of this issue. Although it’s noticeable you’re counting you look very relaxed and in the groove, very nice attitude. Great great job.

@bjams Yeah, recording will reveal all our secrets :joy: . FWIW I think that your fingers didn’t flew that much, it was within acceptable distance, imo. Love the tone, I’m excited to try my LaBella’s also, now even more. Love the practice corner.

@kowry vertical shots are very instagrammable :innocent: . A bit of the flying finger disease (it plagues us all) and also the dreaded pinky curl. To address these issues I recommend some focused exercises on just that (keeping the fingers close to the fingerboard and relaxed). Other than that great job!

I’m so excited with all the participation. I confess I wasn’t expecting this much involvement! Congratulations @JT for the initiative!

Beautiful job so far everyone!

12 Likes

Thanks for your comment :slight_smile: I’m still kinda getting used to the MM, not having a neck pickup to rest my thumb on like I had with my old bass. And still getting familiar with the fretboard so I don’t have to look AS much. When I play I’m using Go Play Along so I kinda have to look at the computer screen more than I’d like until I’m more familiar with the song :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@gcancella
I just noticed this challenge today, March 17th. I think I can learn it and post a video–the video part is more challenging, actually, I have to do it on mobile. The backing track would be helpful. How do I get it?
Paul D.

6 Likes

Hi Guys,
I decided to join the party and do a cover of the Pink Floyd “Another brick in the wall”.
I did the cover twice using my 79 P Bass and the other using my 74 J Bass.
The reason I decide to post both was I couldn’t decide which version I liked better.
Cheers Brian
https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2021/03/17/another-brick-in-the-wall-part2/

15 Likes