Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Yeah, I was a bit confused too, and I think we are doing a poor job of helping @Old_WannaBe .

There’s a thread around here somewhere that has the ABCs of recording and related gear, I just can’t recall the title at the moment. I think that would be most helpful for @Old_WannaBe to dig into.
Basically, yes a DAI (Digital Audio Interface) is essential and then a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) installed on your computer. A DI is an added element, but not essential for recording.

2 Likes

Mea culpa. DAI is what I mean. Sorry @Old_WannaBe , that’s what’s needed, a DAI with USB out.

3 Likes

Wow…sorry to sound like a total noob but…I didn’t know you could do that with the strings, like change the pitch?..so cool! O.o. Sorry, nothing to do with the song or the challenge but I though that was neat and had to comment =3. I’m so not ready for such a thing yet XD

1 Like

Better than I could have done! =3. Great job!

2 Likes

It’s just tuning - if you can tune to E, you’re ready to tune to D. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea…I haven’t figured out ‘quite’ how to do that yet…I’m afraid I’ll do it too far or something XD;

1 Like

Drop D is lower than E, you would tune down

3 Likes

Here goes nothing! This was my first time setting up an audio interface and actually recording something on my computer so sorry for any technical issues! Syncing the audio and video on Windows Video Editor was none too fun - I saw (too late) the tutorial someone posted about syncing using lightworks so I think I’ll try that next time!

From the actual bass side, I messed up noticeably in a few spots (looking at you, beginning of guitar solo) but I think this was more representative of my actual progress than recording it 100 times and nailing it.

This was a ton of fun and I would have never recorded myself without this challenge! Thank you @JT !

12 Likes

Nice job on your first outing @RoyB !
Some timing and note length issues but overall very good job man! Keep it up.

Bass is a little high in the mix, and you might want to pluck a bit lighter as you are buzzing quite a bit. It’s fun to go nuts on the strings, but you shouldn’t have to, let the amp do your work.

Very well done first outing! Keep em coming.

5 Likes

Good job @RoyB ! Especially for your first video. The bits I noticed as being not quite right were mainly the transition notes that aren’t the normal pattern. You played these consistently, but the note durations weren’t quite right each time. The bit I’m talking about is a tricky rhythm though. Overall though, I thought you did a great job.

Also, it looked like you had a fair amount memorized from me tracking your eyes, which is great to see. Unless I was fooled.

4 Likes

Great to see you posting your first cover @RoyB ,
I agree with the comments made by John, @John_E , and @JT ,
Practice will see big improvements, you looked relaxed and you knew exactly where you had blemishes and that’s what’s important.
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback folks! Really appreciate it and looking forward to improving for the next one.

One question for you @John_E, when you say the “bass is a little high in the mix” is that referring to volume or tone?

5 Likes

Volume, tone was nice.

5 Likes

Good job @RoyB ! Great effort for your first performance.
:+1:

4 Likes

Mmm, I’m going to disagree. The bass being high in the mix is a good thing, as far as I’m concerned. The point of the 50 song challenge and “show us your covers” is to hear the bass and give constructive critique on the performance.
I caught a couple of small timing issues and some walk-up/walk-down spots where the note choice was a little idiosyncratic, but still cool. I will say without hesitation, though, that the tone, especially on the dropped D, was monstrous! Keep doing that. Oh, and buy a giant inflatable pig to float above your house. The HOA will love that.

4 Likes
1 Like

There is something about seeing Algie in person. Shame they can’t get along and tour, people don’t know what they’re missing

2 Likes

This I agree with, however I still feel it’s too high. You hear a lot of distorted fretbuzz. Or maybe the bass needs a bit of a setup?

2 Likes

I agree with this, but as far as a normal recording it is high, but it suits the purpose of this challenge just fine.
However, the bass volume was not really the issue, it is clipping some, but that is easily changed with less input volume and more output volume, or with a compressor, either running before the DAI, or using one within the DAW.
That way you can keep the volume up for its purpose, which I agree works in this situation, but you don’t get the overloaded sound.

Great job @RoyB , you are ahead of me, I have yet to be able to do the video portion, all my covers are audio, so nice progress.
I am working on the video, but taking care of health issues first. Gotta prioritize.

yeah, some buzz is ok, but this is a clean song. It is clipping somewhere in the settings, so there are easy ways to make minor changes, and get the result you want with the bass volume the same output level.
Most likely turn down the input on the DAI, and turn up the master output of the recording. Thats the first part I would look at. many other ways to do it within the daw too.

But, lets take it a little on the lighter side of things, this is the first of 50 songs for RayB, and it was an excellent effort, and he has gotten some great feedback performance wise and recording wise, so 1 down, 49 to go. Congratulations.

4 Likes

Ok. Here is my first ever bass cover. I’m still waiting for the DAI I ordered to show up, so I just mic’d my amp for this one. Be gentle on me. Lol
https://youtu.be/WDesk795c44

8 Likes