Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

I’m hella late to the party on this, but I am working on Song 1 this week and hope to lay it down this weekend. That drop D tuning really messes with my head when reading the score.

8 Likes

That’s great and welcome to the party! Looking forward to hearing your version.

4 Likes

I agree…the jitter suits it completely…great effort

1 Like

Ok. Couple things: 1) Did this on my lunch break and ran out of takes, so I have a few oopsies at the end; 2) Damn, playing slow is so much harder than playing fast; 3) Every time I do this thing I mess up the end because I second guess my counting and think I need to do another repeat–even though I have the count, I am not confident, so I do it again instead of going to the fade out. Oh well, these are for learning, right? oh–and sorry for the bad camera angle…was trying to get both hands in the frame

P.S.–damn, I need to cut down on the beer.

12 Likes

#1 learning of videoing yourself for sure brother.

@Old_WannaBe

Great job here.

Your fretting hand is perfectly positioned. Wish I could get mine in that position.

Timing was spot on but then you started rushing the beat during the solo.

Great plucking form too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback

1 Like

Yes, my wife was on me for that as well. That’s why I switched to Canadian rye whisky.

Great job. Perhaps the tone was a trifle too twangy, but in an actual mix that would likely not have mattered as much, because in a bass cover the bass is so much more forward. OTOH, I tend to pick closer to the neck, so perhaps my tone is not twangy enough.

1 Like

Nice finger picking @Old_WannaBe ,
With your fretting hand you should be trying to use your ring finger instead of your pinky, you easily have the stretch as you are using it from the 5 th fret down to the 12th.
Few timing issues, but that’s what this challenge is for, it’s easy to look at yourself, but others can offer opportunities for your improvement,
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Thanks. I have been going back and forth between 1 finger per fret and simandl and sometimes have a hard time chosing which one is right.

2 Likes

@Old_WannaBe

They are both right, and its good to be able to go between them without thinking about it.

I practice some riffs that lend themselves to going back and forth between them.
Stevie Wonder’s I Wish is a good example of this, Smandl on the E and D strings, 1 per fret on the A string.

1 Like

All in all it’s a splendid effort, albeit some minor timing issues and fret rattle here and there. Hopefully you’ve learned not to try to cram a cover recording into a lunch break :slight_smile:
Did you get your strap issue sorted? I noticed you have your neck at a pretty high angle and it seemed to be staying put.
P.S. Cutting down on beer is a sin. Think of all those brewery workers who are depending on you.

5 Likes

Thanks. Definitely not going to try and do another cover over lunch. Very stressful.

Where was I having timing issues? During the solo? I thought the first verse was pretty tight.

Strap issue is ongoing struggle. I’m ok for a 3 minute song, but my thumb is holding the neck up and gets pretty tired after about 10 minutes of standing like that.

3 Likes

I heard a couple in the early part of the song, very minor; only a millisecond off. If you had recorded this in a DAW with the backing track mixed properly with the bass line, it wouldn’t even be noticeable, to be honest.

1 Like

I haven’t the faintest clue how to record in DAW or mix a backing track. I understand that I need a digital interface and then a mixing program, but thats about it. Right now I am just playing through my Rumble 15 into my computer dictation microphone (a great improvement over the web-cam mic) with the track playing on the computer speakers.

4 Likes

No worries, I was just pointed that out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let the GAMES BEGIN!!!

3 Likes

A DI is a cheap thing to buy. You can get a minimalist 2-channel USB DI/mixer from about $25. Plug the headphone jack of your Rumble 15 into the DI, then the DI into a free USB port, plus headphones or monitor speakers into the monitor port in the DI, and you’re rocking.

Of course, my first time around it took me much longer than that because I’m a goof and didn’t plug my jacks in correctly.

2 Likes

A DI is a cheap thing to buy. You can get a minimalist 2-channel USB DI/mixer from about $25. Plug the headphone jack of your Rumble 15 into the DI, then the DI into a free USB port, plus headphones or monitor speakers into the monitor port in the DI, and you’re rocking.

Sorry, I am technologically challenged. Is this what I would need then?

1 Like

I’m not following this here, a DI won’t get you into a DAW, you need a DAI, no?
Like the Focusrite Scarlet

2 Likes