Song 10 - "With or Without You" by U2

Ha! You’ll have to transcribe it by eye - if you stare hard enough the bass neck turns into tablature! Or maybe Agent Smith has to kill you first…
matrix

5 Likes

Great job @RuknRole ! That bass sounds tremendous!
:+1:

4 Likes

Interestingly, I can hear a slide on the studio version, but I watched a video of them playing a few years ago and he doesn’t do a slide on that. This one also seems to be in a different key.

2 Likes

So, I’ve been experimenting with this song tonight to get ready to record it. If you do the below small change, it sounds close to the studio version to me. This is the way I’m going to record it.

wowy

Basically, for the last note of the G’s, go back to B on the A string and slide down to D. I think it sounds best when you use the end of the slide for the first B and don’t pluck it on the first beat.

Here’s a snippet of it isolated. Might sound a bit weird, but if you play it with the backing track it fits.

4 Likes

Sounging good sir, looking forward to your video!

3 Likes

Here’s my take on the song. Couple glitches, but I think I did alright overall. Frustratingly, I had a perfect take, but the input didn’t record… I know on this one it only recorded on the right channel as I just used Windows Camera for this one to do it quickly. The sync might also be a fraction off as fine-tuning isn’t as good in Video Editor. Should be good enough for this purpose though. Definitely will do a better recording next time!

https://youtu.be/DvdIK6t7CBM

12 Likes

Great. Job @JT that plucking hand is a machine!

4 Likes

Thanks. Strangely enough, I never have to pay any attention to my plucking hand. I just let it do its thing. Might have to think about finger order on the harder songs though. I still need a lot of attention on the fretting hand and fretboard though. At least I had this song memorized, which helps a lot.

3 Likes

Great job @JT!

4 Likes

nicely done @JT

3 Likes

Great job @JT …and oooh nice slide! :wink:

3 Likes

Nice job @JT ,
nice tone and right on point,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

To everyone who has performed With or Without you, I commend you for your effort. there are no bad performances. The only way to do a bad performance is to not do it at all.
Sorry I don’t comment on each one individually, but just know you have my full support for your efforts.

4 Likes

Lookin’ forward to yours, @PamPurrs :rofl:
(I feel the need to add “no offense intended - just playin with ya”)

4 Likes

I may do it someday. I just don’t run with the herd…

4 Likes

The herd isn’t doing this challenge. We’re a very small minority of the community.

We’re definitely the rebels!

You should join us if you want to be a rebel and not like all those others that aren’t taking part.

:wink:

4 Likes

Let me restate what I said, but in different words.

I may or may not do a cover of With or Without you; but if and when I do, it will be at a time of my own choosing.

I’m not so much a rebel as I’m an independent person who does her own thing on her own terms.
I applaud those who are participating in your challenge, and rest assured they have my unadulterated support.

3 Likes

I know. I’m just messing with you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Everyone is free to join or not whenever they want and for however many songs they want to do. Would be great to have you involved if you choose to be at some point on the future. I don’t want anyone to feel pressured though. All just for fun.

Though I’m disappointed my super clever reverse psychology didn’t work. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

… never works on me.

I actually have participated in a circuitous manner. It turns out one of my covers that I posted last December is on the list of 50 songs (I didn’t realize that when I recorded it). Unfortunately, it’s way down on the list, and isn’t on your schedule until Sept. 2022 (right after Billie Jean).
I’ll repost it then.

3 Likes

Great job @JT ! Nicely done!

3 Likes