Song 10 - "With or Without You" by U2

I’m at the 7 month point since starting the B2B course. I’m eternally grateful to @JoshFossgreen for designing such a great course which with a little bit of effort has set me up for success. Lot’s of things to still work on, but definitely feeling more relaxed with the instrument.
As with most things in life, the simple stuff is much harder than it looks!

Fender P Bass, GHS Precision Flats, Volume 100%, Tone 75% thru Zoom B1 (#47 SVT HalfST patch) into Focusrite DAI into Garage Band.

Cheers Amigos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36OXnQ8pxq8

12 Likes

Well done @Barney as usual!

3 Likes

You’re killing @Barney always making it look easy :+1:t5:

4 Likes

Great Job . :+1::+1::metal::beers:

4 Likes

Good job @Barney. New bass?

4 Likes

Yep first full scale bass. Player series (MIM) P Bass. I like it so far. Nice weight, everything is finished to a decent standard for the price.

5 Likes

Nice job @Barney ,
Couple areas timing was a little off, straight repeating eights are not easy to stay in time, good to see you counting your way through,
Nice bass, love the colour,
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Exactly Brian. Recording myself has been the best thing for my playing, because when you sit back and listen to it afterwards you can’t bullshit yourself. It either sounds in time or it doesn’t.
What a fantastic age to learn an instrument.
Side note - using the drum machine in my Zoom B1 has been very useful to develop my timing.

6 Likes

Ya the “solo” button in Abelton tells no lies.
I hate it but it’s the single barest feedback to listen to your recorded self.

Secondly is the video. I always think I’m looking cool but turns out I mainly look like a doofus who needs to work on his fingering.

2 Likes

Very well done @Barney ! Sounded awesome!

3 Likes

Nice work @Barney … spot on as always. Love that (new??) P-Bass!

4 Likes

Great job @Barney

4 Likes

Yes new MIM P Bass. Very happy with it.

3 Likes

This one is on the books, certainly room for improvement… after looking at the video I will be putting some time in controlling those Rockettes’ high kicks :joy:
After listening to this song I listened to some more U2 and they have quite a few bass centric tunes that sound more fun to play, particularly during the 1980-1990 years
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9g_U39qTL8o&feature=youtu.be

6 Likes

@Reo
Great job!
You are progressing really well during this challenge, keep it up!
Great plucking, great timing. Just great overall.

Don’t fret (pun intended) about the high fingers over on the left hand, I suffer this too and working on it. It comes with time. A tip my instructor is giving me is use very very simple exercises to work on perfect fretting form. Do the simple stuff perfectly and the fingers will start behaving on their own in other areas…at least that is what I’m going with.

4 Likes

Noticing it is the first step to curing it… Nice job - I liked the fade at the end.

3 Likes

Good work @Reo ,
Good finger work on both hands👍, chugging along with straight eights is not easy, you got out of sync a few times, this will improve over time, also maintaining the constant tone will improve over time,
keep on Rockin,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Howdy all! Here is my effort. A couple of mistakes and there is a return of those darn flying fingers, but I’ll take it.

Started out just looking for a song to play today and saw this one and figured, let’s do it!

Special thanks to our friend @John_E who challenged me (and the support from Brian @TNKA36, @JerryP and some others) at last month’s hang about me “buying a new bass and not playing it.” This was the maiden voyage here on the Forum for the new (to me) Ray34. Thanks for the nudge John, I am glad to be back in the saddle and playing.

PS - Pardon the low audio to the original track. Still recording from my iPhone. I REALLY gotta get high’er tech (DAW, DAI, and all the other gear).

https://youtu.be/EuJTmkAOcUQ

13 Likes

Great job @JDDaniel ! the 'Ray sounds awesome an I love the color!
:+1:

2 Likes

Great Job @JDDaniel…!! Dam man, you’ve come a loooong way!! Even when you might hot a wrong note, you just “Keep On Thumpin’”… Love it!!

3 Likes