Song 10 - "With or Without You" by U2

I can’t remember what I did @groaner when I did my cover. I think I just slid into the root note when I felt like it.

I decided it wasn’t worth overthinking and just gave it a go.

2 Likes

That’s likely what I’ll do too, @Barney but I like analyze the song I’m playing a little.
Looking forward to recording them both.

I just went through each style and I like the sound of the 50 songs version better as the A string sounds a little cheerier. The E string version is quite a bit more muted.

Here it is.
I may not do the other version of this as I do like this. The bass is a little heavy and sustain between plucks could use some improvement. Too much staccato (is that the right term?)

I was super pleased with the Orange AD200 sound. Really matched Adam’s sound, I think.

https://youtu.be/TW2YcNCSALQ

BASS - Yamaha TRBX 304 Active Jazz bass
AI device - Focusrite Scarlett Solo
DAW - Reaper with Amplitube Orange AD 200 virtual amp
Video - OCS
Put it all together in Resolve

2 Likes

Sounding good @groaner
I think the bopping back and forth caused your slide timing to suffer a bit though.
It sounds like your intonation on the string your are silding on) is off a tad bit too up higher.
Really great job and tone is spot on indeed!
Excellent!!!

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E !
I think it was my bass face! Honestly, I threw it in and immediately missed a step!
I can’t help to bop but I’ll pay closer attention to it.

I felt when I was playing that something felt off, but after I recorded it I 5hougjt “good enough”.
I thought it was a tad out of tune.

Thanks for your input. I always look forward to it.

2 Likes

Awesome job Groaner! Love the tone you got out of the Yammy.
:+1:

1 Like

This is a redo of my With or Without You cover. My last one sounded off due to a mis-placed fret (slid up to 9th instead of 10th!). Hopefully this sounds better to the ears!

https://youtu.be/HoLnUazle9U

5 Likes

lol. So you’re saying it was “sleight of hand and twist of fate?”
(see what I did there?!). :rofl:

3 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Nice job!

2 Likes

Sounds great!

2 Likes

Great job @groaner !

1 Like

I’m bouncing around a bit in the 50 songs list - This one was really fun to play and a pretty chill bass line overall.

I decided to let the H pickup solo this one. So I popped the switch on my Jino bass and dialed the preamp down quite a bit. That H pickup is HOT HOT HOT!

I used the Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 with XLR Out to Volt 276 and then to Garageband. Video recorded with OBS. Original bass removed with Moises.ai. I brought it all together in iMovie.

Thanks for watching!

2 Likes

Sounding really good man, you’re totally on fire in the challenge.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @John_E - I really appreciate the feedback. :smiley:

I’m hoping to nail All Star over the weekend!

1 Like

Here is my With or without you, hope you like it.:slight_smile: https://youtu.be/HOg1nvZnhOY?si=7mJ_EIWNjCgUFpau

3 Likes

Nice work. What happened at 3:24? :wink:

1 Like

My bad videoedit skills:-)

2 Likes

I use Imovie (I don’t know what use). But if you’ve got a splice between two different videos i.e you recorded it again because the light is different in the room. Then if you use a transition image or piece of video between the two it makes it less obvious.

So part 1, then fade in a picture / random bit of video from U2 for a few seconds, then drop in part 2.

Example for reference (it’s all one video I’m just showing a typical transition slide).

Nice work on thrashing through the challenge though :metal:

3 Likes

Great job working through the 50 songs @Johnnyb! This is a fun one to chug along to :guitar

2 Likes