Song 10 - "With or Without You" by U2

You’re killing this 50 Song Challenge!

1 Like

Tnx:-) I might be moving a bit to fast, most of the songs are far from perfect.:slight_smile: But I learn and move on.

1 Like

Tnx, I will try to redo it. :+1:

1 Like

From Motown to Coldplay tone seamlessly. Super nice there @Johnnyb

Some of these simple tunes get really boring, but, that builds stamina and “autopilot”.

I thought this sounded great though. Nothing stood out.

2 Likes

Here’s my attempt at with or without you.

10 Likes

Really enjoyed that. Great job.

2 Likes

Nice job.
Timing off a bit at the start but you locked it in very well quite fast.
Excellent!
Tone great, a bit high in mix but that’s fine here.

4 Likes

Hey!

Two for one, I know. I actually recorded another cover over the holidays, but I am not a 100% happy with that… and it’s in an alternate tuning, so I almost bought a second bass because of that. Better to play a song I’ve often played at jam sessions: With or Without You. :heart:

10 U2 - With or Without You

I also considered playing with a pick, now that would require more practice… and possibly audio editing because of the way I currently pick (noisy).

Cheers,
Antonio

7 Likes

Oh dear @antonio - I am afraid you came in too early and therefore were about 1/2 bar out of sync with the song.
Have a listen back to the original and then play yours and follow along with the tabs.

EDIT - new version is great @antonio
Well done, nice dancing/bopping.

1 Like

Yikes, I’ll have a listen, thanks for noticing that. :grimacing:

Edit:
What an embarrassing story! I went back and looked at the two recordings I made and I was early in both of them, just like John wrote. Maybe I didn’t notice it because I was too focused on my own playing.

I tried to match my own bass track with the original bass track and this seems to help to double check the recording. But I wonder whether my process of simply muting the bass track in moises and playing along to the rest of the band may be a bad idea. Perhaps I should export everything and record all tracks separately, but the thought alone confuses me at the moment.

And while my new upload is not perfect, I hope it is okay.

Thanks for the feedback, @John_E!

Cheers,
Antonio

2 Likes

syncing is tricky (can be tricky). I had a video up for a year that was out of sync before I realized the problem.
Your cover sounds great though.

2 Likes

Nah, this wasn’t about syncing (if you mean video editing) - John spotted that I came in too early and I did. :laughing:

I uploaded another video, in case you missed the first version, you might think it’s about syncing. :hugs:

1 Like

I used to do this then @PamPurrs told me she exported all tracks including the bass and brought them all into the DAW.
This is really a better way to do it and to play along with the original bass even while recording.
The other plus to this is you can go back and forth when mixing from orig bass to your bass to set proper level in mix to match original. I also use this A/B comparison for dialing in tone to original as well

4 Likes

Hey @antonio this is how i do it sometimes IF I’m struggling with timing (It might help?)

In my DAW I import the various tracks.

1. Original track
  2. Moises track with NO bass
  3. Moises track with BOOSTED bass.

I then record my take using the boosted bass so it gives me a clear guide as to where i should be.

I then play my take and mute all the other tracks apart from the NO bass track. If i like the mix / take I stop. I save that take and start mixing the track properly from there.

4 Likes

+1 on this! I don’t usually bring in a boosted bass track but I considered to do that for Iron Man cause Tony’s solo was throwing me off timing.

I’ll play along with the full track at first then listen back with the bassless track to see how I like it.

2 Likes

Great job Antonio! Loved the tone for this one.

1 Like

Lots of good advice, thank you! And Pam once again impresses me. :slight_smile:

I think doing covers is a great learning process. Before, I wouldn’t have thought so much about levels, tone and so on. My brother recently texted that I should totally check out all those plugins on Reaper, hehehe!

And one more thing - I think I fell into the trap of thinking “I want to play independently of the original, be myself, &c.” As in, playing along to the bass track felt like a cheat. Now, I say that because it seems that you can then unwittingly neglect studying the original track(s).

Thanks for the friendly and constructive feedback!
Antonio

3 Likes

Sounding great @antonio! I also listen to the original mix when I’m recording and then switch to the bass-less backing track when I’m mixing. When I’m playing well, I don’t even notice the original bassline, but if I go off the rails I’ll hear it right away and can try again.

2 Likes

That’s right, I had a take for example, where the interlude on D was just a hair off the original line - might not be noticed, but I heard it well by paralleling the original and my line, just like you said. So, I did another take that was closer.
:smile:

2 Likes