Song 11 - "Yellow" by Coldplay

Level one complete!

1 Like

Fantastic @doylecb

The one thing to have a look at is the rushed end-of-slide into the next note.
I found this to be a common thing with me (and still sometimes do) getting this timing down. I tend to rush the slide to get to the next note ahead of the beat until isolating it and working it out until I know the timing cold. I hear this here as well. Have a listen to yours and the original.

Sometimes I will seperate the tracks and then take the bass track and listen to it in isolation over an over to get the nuance of the groove, slides, whatever. Can be helpful.

1 Like

Absolutely great observation again, John! It seems so simple, but I had to work on that whole part a little bit to even get it as close as I have it.

It’s been a month or more since I’ve posted a 50 song cover!
Here’s Yellow. Let me know hat you think!

Yes, the bass is louder than normal, it’s for me to judge myself.

https://youtu.be/rT3WLRqIxhg

7 Likes

Nicely done @groaner! Your timing and transitions are right on the money.

Thank you! Feels good playing it.

1 Like

This is exactly why I love this forum, seeing people improve is the bomb, and you sir, @groaner are their man!

This was just great, I can even see confidence in your hands.

As @Barney always says, put in the time and it pays off (paraphrasing).

2 Likes

Thanks John! I can feel the improvement as well. Love it!

1 Like

Bass playing dancing takes a little longer. Great job @groaner

2 Likes

Been rocking out covers today! :star_struck:

50 Songs Challenge Song #11: Coldplay - Yellow

Original Bass removed by Moises.ai

Signal chain info:
Fender MIM Jazz Bass > Cali 76 Compressor > Fender Rumble 40 > Volt 276 > GarageBand.

Finished with iMovie.

https://youtu.be/uE1ciPFSyp4

5 Likes

Are you left or right handed? Last video you were the opposite.
Interesting choice of a pick here, I would think it makes it harder for not much added value but your technique is top notch.

Great job again!

1 Like

I’m right handed. I meant to flip the video in OBS but forgot and once I’m in iMovie, the flip would cause my banner text to be backwards so I just went with it. I think my Crazy cover (posting soon) is the same.

Thanks for checking it out!

1 Like

#11 done and moving on. The video edit is not good, but I try to learn that at the same time :slight_smile: Yellow bass cover - Bassbuzz 50 song challenge - YouTube

5 Likes

Solid cover Johnny. I disagree about the edit, I liked it. We learn by doing. You’re learning about adding transitions and adding a bit of colour to your videos. It’s all good man. We are all students here.

4 Likes

Thank you @Barney for your kind words, really appreciate it. I also did the transition thing on “With or without you” (not uploaded) as you suggested, and it looks much better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very nice!

Yes, making these covers gives you a chance to learn some things in parallel to bass, mixing in a DAW, video editing, etc. all great stuff to know for sure.

3 Likes

Thank you @dlamson13 !

Great cover and excellent use of video effects…however when the video started I couldn’t help but notice the lady who had some really weird eyes…wonder if that’s an AI generated thing? Kinda spooked me for a second :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @cheeze_pizza , nice to hear. Yes, it’s really creepy. I play along with Bing Ai and try to make something related, not always it’s a success, especially eyes is hard to generate:-)

2 Likes

Well done @Johnnyb !!

3 Likes