Song 15 - "Born Under a Bad Sign" by Albert King

Good choice!

I too will have some news to share in a couple of days hopefully :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oh my!

Good job

Well done

1 Like

I’ve been wanting one of these in purple with ebony for a while, but have not found one is stock under 9 lbs yet.

Enjoyed this one a lot, appreciated the laid back tempo after that Ramone’s tune. Like how it’s blues but not 12-bar and 60’s without sounding like it. Beginning is a little rocky, gotta learn to put a count-in on my tracks.
https://youtu.be/gjjQUatZCLQ

6 Likes

Hey that was great. Sounded really good!

My intro secret is a midi foot-switch that starts the recording in my DAW. No need to add a count in. :wink:

1 Like

Or just drag a measure or two of silence before the backing track (or other tracks :slight_smile: ) - I like this more than a count-in because you have visual feedback of the recording point as well.

I always start projects with a silent measure for other reasons (some mixing/mastering plugins have a bit of read-ahead/buffering latency they require before they fully kick in; if you ever hear a mix that has some kind of EQ blip at the start, it’s because someone didn’t correct for this).

Another useful strategy for repeating basslines is to just sit out the first time through the riff, start recording on the second, and drag it back a few measures. Then retake at the end of the repeating part to make up the missing measures. Punch-in is your best friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @John_E and @howard, all good suggestions!

1 Like

and this one is just so cool, I can play it over and over, of course I kept messing up during the video, but it works :man_shrugging:

https://youtu.be/abkG3C8HC7I

7 Likes

Nice job! Very well played. Nice laid back timing and groove. Good to see you back here on the challange @Reo !!

Nice old school growl out of that MM too.

2 Likes

Man you’re killing it today @Reo, nice job!

Agree, it really fits the song nicely, gives it a little edge

1 Like

Thanks… I’ve accumulated these, just too busy to mix the video and sound, finally I had time to sit a do it all

Very nice John!

1 Like

Her’s my attempt at this.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/826935920/privacy

3 Likes

I have to point out something that gives me hope. I see you have a big belly. So do I (much bigger I think) and I struggle sometimes to get my hands on the proper position because I have always jacked my bass up high. However, seeing the way you hold yours has me thinking I may can do that as well and it will improve my hand position.

1 Like

I’m glad me and my big belly can help. :rofl::joy:
I play like this because i had a bad injury to my fretting hand. I also play short-scale bass. 30" scale. Do what ever is the most comfortable for you to play bass. I glad i was able to help have not posted any thing in awhile. But still having fun playing my bass.
Cheers :beers:

1 Like

Nice job @doylecb! This is one of my favorite “50 song” tunes to revisit, a fun groove to play.

1 Like

@BigAl !!!
Nice to see you brother.
Hope all is well with you.

1 Like

Great job @doylecb !
Can’t think of a thing to improve.
Nice laid back groove (which it needs) throughout.
Still love that bass.

1 Like