Song 15 - "Born Under a Bad Sign" by Albert King

oh my!

Good job

Well done

1 Like

Iā€™ve been wanting one of these in purple with ebony for a while, but have not found one is stock under 9 lbs yet.

Enjoyed this one a lot, appreciated the laid back tempo after that Ramoneā€™s tune. Like how itā€™s blues but not 12-bar and 60ā€™s without sounding like it. Beginning is a little rocky, gotta learn to put a count-in on my tracks.
https://youtu.be/gjjQUatZCLQ

6 Likes

Hey that was great. Sounded really good!

My intro secret is a midi foot-switch that starts the recording in my DAW. No need to add a count in. :wink:

1 Like

Or just drag a measure or two of silence before the backing track (or other tracks :slight_smile: ) - I like this more than a count-in because you have visual feedback of the recording point as well.

I always start projects with a silent measure for other reasons (some mixing/mastering plugins have a bit of read-ahead/buffering latency they require before they fully kick in; if you ever hear a mix that has some kind of EQ blip at the start, itā€™s because someone didnā€™t correct for this).

Another useful strategy for repeating basslines is to just sit out the first time through the riff, start recording on the second, and drag it back a few measures. Then retake at the end of the repeating part to make up the missing measures. Punch-in is your best friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @John_E and @howard, all good suggestions!

1 Like

and this one is just so cool, I can play it over and over, of course I kept messing up during the video, but it works :man_shrugging:

https://youtu.be/abkG3C8HC7I

7 Likes

Nice job! Very well played. Nice laid back timing and groove. Good to see you back here on the challange @Reo !!

Nice old school growl out of that MM too.

2 Likes

Man youā€™re killing it today @Reo, nice job!

Agree, it really fits the song nicely, gives it a little edge

1 Like

Thanksā€¦ Iā€™ve accumulated these, just too busy to mix the video and sound, finally I had time to sit a do it all

Very nice John!

1 Like

Herā€™s my attempt at this.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/826935920/privacy

3 Likes

I have to point out something that gives me hope. I see you have a big belly. So do I (much bigger I think) and I struggle sometimes to get my hands on the proper position because I have always jacked my bass up high. However, seeing the way you hold yours has me thinking I may can do that as well and it will improve my hand position.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad me and my big belly can help. :rofl::joy:
I play like this because i had a bad injury to my fretting hand. I also play short-scale bass. 30" scale. Do what ever is the most comfortable for you to play bass. I glad i was able to help have not posted any thing in awhile. But still having fun playing my bass.
Cheers :beers:

1 Like

Nice job @doylecb! This is one of my favorite ā€œ50 songā€ tunes to revisit, a fun groove to play.

1 Like

@BigAl !!!
Nice to see you brother.
Hope all is well with you.

1 Like

Great job @doylecb !
Canā€™t think of a thing to improve.
Nice laid back groove (which it needs) throughout.
Still love that bass.

1 Like

Thank you brother, all is good.