Song 15 - "Born Under a Bad Sign" by Albert King

Wow thanks man! I do love this bass. It is my only bass but it’s kind of everything I want. Obviously I never built a collection but I have bought and sold quite a few cheaper bases and decided that instead of having to $500 basses, I could just get myself This. I also have come to the conclusion that for me personally balance, weight, and overall comfort is at least as important as the tone but this is a pretty versatile P base with three voiceings.

A really awesome Blues groove on this song! When I saw the tabs, I felt pretty comfortable with it as the shapes are really close to what I would noodle around with.

I played this one with my JINO bass into the Darkglass Microtubes 500v2. XLR out to a Volt 276 and then into Garageband. Video recorded with OBS. I then brought it all together in
iMovie. Original Bass removed by Moises.ai.

(I need to take more notes about the settings when I do these! We will get there…)

Thanks for checking it out!

4 Likes

This tune is a classic 12-bar blues, deviating only briefly at the turnaround.

1 Like

But It doesn’t go to the 4, right? Stays on the root, and then does the 5-4-1 thing.

Yep, it does. It’s a I-IV-V progression.

You can see the progression (in the key of C) in this shot @booker_t posted in the Albert and Stevie Ray thread.

2 Likes

The measure to the left of the first “F” is the 5 chord, but its cut off in the picture. So it breaks the mold a little from a pure 1-4-5 progression.

I-IV-V refers to the chordal makeup of the tune (in the key of C: C, F, G), not the order or timing of when those chords occur in the progression.

2 Likes

Great job, man. Really feeling that groove. :+1:

1 Like

I like this song, what i dont like is my bad plucking technique. Don’t even notice that I use just one finger when it is easy parts, back to B2B for a couple of days i think :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Really good @Johnnyb
Just finally realizing your a lefty :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E :slight_smile: I haven’t figured that out for myself yet, so guessing that I also need a video edit lesson.:joy::joy: The clock is on my left hand.

1 Like

“If it wasn’t for bad luck… You know I wouldn’t have no luck at all”

1 Like

Nice job.
A bit ahead here and there. This tune calls for lots of laying back on the beat, and you are mostly there.
Excellent job.

1 Like