Song 17 - "Crossfire" by Stevie Ray Vaughan

Thanks @John_E - been doing Ari Cap’s Cohort and that has helped a great deal. We are doing blues and Mixolydian this unit and this song just fits right into that scene! Cheers

One thing about these Forums is that I’m learning a lot more of these ‘Urban Dictionary’ entries!

They say it’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks . . . and I believe they’re right :wink:

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

I had no idea either @Jazzbass19 Joe

Going back to my first bass, Squire Jazz (although the only original parts are the neck, body and pickguard (with blackened out edge).
This is still one of my favorite basses.
Still a little VT Bass DI SVT used.
More bridge than neck, tone up and mids boosted a bit.

https://youtu.be/FiXLe_1qctM

3 Likes

Sounds great @John_E! Very nice playing and timing. I really like the way your tone cuts through the mix on this one. I’m finding myself starting to dig the Jazz Bass sound more and more these days.

1 Like

Hey all, here’s my SRV cover, fun little groove. I skipped over this one originally because I have some kind of irrational hatred for retuning. Was able to hack Floyd and Nirvana and do them in standard, but not this one. The Aerosmith song I covered a few weeks ago ended up being in Eb, and that pushed me to get over it. Maybe some VH and GNR covers coming soon while I’m down here :metal: Thanks for listening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORNfT9cRW94

6 Likes

Nice job! Great tone…

1 Like

:clap::clap::raised_hands: that was cool, the tone was spot on for the song… you’ve taken the challenge by storm man! I’m amazed at how super relaxed you play also :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks Reo!

The weird thing about the tone on this one is it sounded best when I set all my EQ and blend controls to noon on both the bass and my amp (except gain, which I left off). This never happens. I play the Schecter through an Orange Crush combo and then record the DI signal from the amp. This rig doesn’t scream “Texas Blues” to me, but somehow it worked :slight_smile:

I think the relaxed playing comes from playing guitar for so long. It makes the instrument feel familiar to me. I do focus on staying relaxed when I play as well – good things tend to happen then. When I tense up, usually because I’m overthinking something, that’s when I forget parts, or my fingers go rogue and trip over themselves.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that a cool individual sound doesn’t necessarily gel well with the mix, perhaps setting the bass tone to a more “Texas blues” sound might crash with the track…

1 Like

alright I sat on this one for a bit, not playing much as I mentioned on the previous song… also when I am doing a song in a different tuning I tend to play less,… I’m using that excuse

https://youtu.be/pij3Hz8jXGY

5 Likes

Hey @Reo!
Well done man!
Well done!!!
Nice growl too on this.
Sounds great.

1 Like

Really solid! Nice job!

1 Like

Nice job on this @Reo! Kept the groove going throughout.

Yeah, a big part of my practice is jamming to a shuffled playlist of songs I know. My Eb playlist is much more limited.

Caught in the crossfire! Here’s my cover of this awesome tune. Lots of fun playing it but boy is it a finger workout at 4 minutes with little resting time!

Played with a Fender MIM Jazz Bass (my first Fender bass!)
Strung with standard Fender strings and tuned down to Eb
Neck Volume 50%
Bridge Volume 100%
Tone 100%

Plugged into Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 with the following settings:
Vintage Microtubes Mode
Compression 50%
Tone 100%
Blend 50%
EQ mostly flat with a bump at 1.5k

I wanted to push the mids as much as possible in this one. I also had to cut some high end due to fret noise.

XLR Out to Volt 276. Volt using GTR Comp setting. Vintage OFF. Gain 45%. Recorded with Garageband and OBS. Finished with iMovie.

4 Likes

Finally a new song on the 50 list done! Hope you like my Crossfire, and yes I know I have to much Ai stuff in this one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s my crossfire take :slight_smile:

1 Like

Overall ok.
This seemingly simple riff is actually quite hard to nail over and over and keep time.
Timing issues throughout the tune, nothing more practice wouldn’t fix.
I find these repetitive riffs the toughest to keep time well for a long time without way too many hours of practice (at least for me).

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Here’s my take.
This song is an exercise in repetition! Holy man! That little phrase in the middle, that was my downfall. I played it over and over before recording and still messed it up. I hope you enjoy and I look forward to your input!

2 Likes

Nice to see you @groaner
The bass tone is super boomy and deep to my ear, some trebble in the mix or a filter would be useful here.
However, your playing is fantastic.
Your groove is spot on.
Couple of flubs here and there but otherwise terrific!

1 Like